Whats a project 300H worth?

PH29Fury

Reaction score
Hey guys ...I have not been part of the group for long...but I have certainly come to appreciate the knowledge and information contained in these pages!!! That of those in the know and some expertise...and the interest of the new guys like myself who ask the questions....some of the very same I have had myself!

That being said I have been primarily a 67 Chevy Guy all my life, but along my way I did acquire a 69 Sport Fury convertible in the early nineties and then let it go, missing it some years later. Hence the hard top I just acquired. During that time I had also the chance to purchase a 70 300 Hurst for the meer sum of $5000, running and driving showing some age...this is a time when no one even knew this car existed. Unfortunately I passed on it for another chevy....BIG mistake! ..and have always regretted it since....which brings me to this post.

While searching out some parts for the Sport Fury a friend of mine from down south who I have know has had a 300 Hurst for a bit has offered to sell me the car.....so whats it worth???
So let me say that it needs a total resto with the motor and trans out of it but comes with it...no idea on condition. Its complete but the years have not been kind to the fiberglass ...especially the deck lid. Body seems straight and no obvious rot or rust. The interior looks complete (Bench) but is ratty....and I believe that all the emblems are there..not sure about the air cleaner?

So I defer now to the group....thoughts , opinions, etc

...and of course if I should pass I will forward the info to an interested party via PM with the owners permission if he still wishes to part with it upon my decline...

Thanks in advance

Ralph

Last edited:
I'd start at the 5k you could have gotten one for and go up. But I'm a cheap fellow. There was one similar to what you described, restored that sold for mid to high 20's not long ago. Figure how much you're going to spend on getting it to where you want it to be, and add what you think would be an appropriate purchase price. Or let your emotions set the purchase price. Whatever you feel is fair to you and the seller. I always start low, to the point I might insult someone, but I'm surprised by what might seem low to me, is high for someone else, and vise-versa.

From your description so far, it sounds like it's going to be tough to restore that car for less than the cost of a nice one. Even if you can do most of the work yourself, it's going to be very expensive. The fiberglass work alone could run 3-5K if done by a professional shop. The bench seat is a red flag. It should have the Imperial bucket seats, with either a buddy seat in the middle or a console. Most of the rough ones also need the metal structure of the hood replaced, as it was never treated with a rust preventative from the factory and they often rot out from the inside, especially down in the humid south. A bunch of good pictures would really help to get you the best advice, but I'm thinking start at 3K, or possibly pass for a better one.

Jeff

Thanks for the input....Unfortunately 69monaco ...I looked at the car some time back...and then again the weekend and did not take any pix...duh!
bigmoparjeff ...you hit the nail on the head for me as I do not have the ability , talent, and most of all, the time to do the work myself. I can tinker a bit ...but this is big undertaking! ..and I misspoke it does have the buckets with the armrest..So I was leaning in the direction that it has to be cheap or I'm out...maybe 5K LocuMob
and live4theking, he wants out to move onto a project superbee....

Thanks for the input....Unfortunately 69monaco ...I looked at the car some time back...and then again the weekend and did not take any pix...duh!
bigmoparjeff ...you hit the nail on the head for me as I do not have the ability , talent, and most of all, the time to do the work myself. I can tinker a bit ...but this is big undertaking! ..and I misspoke it does have the buckets with the armrest..So I was leaning in the direction that it has to be cheap or I'm out...maybe 5K LocuMob
and live4theking, he wants out to move onto a project superbee....
Then maybe you can get it for less than you think. Play dumb, start low and see what he says.

Back