What's the best engine paint??

MoparBrew

Reaction score
who uses what? I've used the VHT and Duplicolor rattle cans with little success. With my car parked outside in Brooklyn engine looks old 2 years after rebuild

Mopar Performance rattle cans are excellent.
So is Eastwood 2-part in cans.
Also Bill Hersch Auto.
Nobody is "best". Many are good. It's in the prep.

I had a good time with VHT back in the day but it's been a while since I did a complete tear down. Bill Hersch was suggested to me for my next one though.

I was told long ago buy a restoration guy to just dust on the paint enough to color cover. Worked for me regardless of paint brand used. A heavy coat will cause burning and discoloration.

who uses what? I've used the VHT and Duplicolor rattle cans with little success. With my car parked outside in Brooklyn engine looks old 2 years after rebuild
Nothing beats the same paint you spray a car with. Epoxy primer sprayed lightly then single stage paint. Mines been on for 8 years, still true to color and semi gloss.

I've had pretty good luck with Duplicolor. Gotta use their primer and follow the directions.

Nothing beats the same paint you spray a car with. Epoxy primer sprayed lightly then single stage paint. Mines been on for 8 years, still true to color and semi gloss.

True, that would be best. I have Eastwoods paint in Ford blue, Chrysler blue and black quarts. I add a hardener catalyst to the paint and then brush it on the engines. As said it is single stage urethane. My only problem is that Eastwood won't mail it to California anymore even though a catalyst is optional.

I used Bill Hersch paint, still looks good 3 years later and about 6,000 miles.

When I was getting my '67 Newport spiffed-up for car shows and such, nobody had Chrysler Turquoise engine paint. I went to a local auto supply that also did car paint. We matched the Dodge Truck Desert Turquoise paint to the existing valve cover on the engine. He built me a quart of it. I got one of the PreVal sprayer kits, some generic enamel "thinner", mixed some up and sprayed it on a new Chrysler oil pan I'd gotten for it. Used brake cleaner spray first, then the paint mixture. Gloss was great, as has been durability. After all, it was acrylic enamel! That was over 35 years ago.

Using "dusting" coats is a good recommendation, especially for the first one or two. Usually decreases runs that way.

To me, "color match" is important, regardless of whether spray can or mixed.

The last Hemi Orange paint I got from Direct Connection/Mopar Perf was a little "thin" on pigment. I was using it to paint a particle board shelf and it took twice what it should have just to get a consistent color. But that was a few decades ago, so it's probably changed by now.

CBODY67

I've heard good things also about the Bill Hirsch paint. I've also had a few guys swear by the POR 15 engine paint at a cruise night, both guys brushed it on. Anybody try the POR 15?

I haven't had a can of MP work for me in over a decade. I use VHT. Prep is critical, as is going light on the coats. More coats, less thickness per coat. I don't prime first but all parts are completely cleaned and stripped as part of the rebuild. All parts are washed in degreaser, then washed with dish soap and water and blown dry. No issues with adhesion over time even with no primer, and no issues with colors changing.

Back