What's the top speed you have driven in your C-body?

goldfish65

Reaction score
Just curious, cars without major upgrades that you have owned.

I'll go first, '71 Fury III 360 stock other than electronic ignition, 105 mph.

Was still digging but I didn't push to go any faster in a car that's 50 years old.

Around 115 in my 65 sport fury. Later 440 automatic. Probably wont be doing that again with drum brakes and single pot master cylinder

125, stock 440 w/ single exhaust and 5 people on board (4 colleagues who would not believe that big old car could do 120+). It was full throttle but just shortly. It would have gone further up if I wouldn't have run out of highway.
Must have been in '00/'01, when I just had the car, so she was only 31 years young back then. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
'70 Fury I police cruiser, 130mph in the Arizona desert. It would have gone faster but Tires got wonky. Seperated 3 of them on that trip.

Dave

Mine will go 109.8 mph in 440 yards....starting from a dead stop.

On a closed course it buries the needle so fast i am not sure what it will actually do. 3.23 gears 505 cubic inch stroker motor. I will get the gps fired up and test it out.

All I can say is 120+. Many years back, I had my Fury convertible at a Mopar show hosted by Charlotte Motor Speedway. They let us on the trach to make some laps for pictures but we were supposed to keep our speeds limited to 55mph. That was a joke, but I did try. A guy in a Hemi Road Runner (68/69) came up beside me and punched it. He walked away like I was standing still, so I figured "hold my beer..."
Anyway, I had the speedometer needle way past the turn signal light, literally buried from sight. It was a truly awesome experience. I had to back down to about 80 or so because, with the top down, the air was blowing at us from the back and blowing all these flyers, papers, maps, whatever was under the seats, up onto the inside of the windshield. It isn't so much fun when you can't see where you are going.
Thems was good times.....
badvert7.jpg

Last edited:
Would that be with 2.76 rear axle ratio and P235/75R-15 Police-spec tires? As the '69 Polara was equipped that ran a very similar speed in the Michigan State Police Tests? Which held the police car top speed record until the middle 1980s IROC-Z style Camaro 305TPI police package cars were tested.

Would that be with 2.76 rear axle ratio and P235/75R-15 Police-spec tires? As the '69 Polara was equipped that ran a very similar speed in the Michigan State Police Tests? Which held the police car top speed record until the middle 1980s IROC-Z style Camaro 305TPI police package cars were tested.
Correction my mistake, it’s 148.7 MPH for the Plymouth.

The Dodge was 149 MPH.

8.55x15x6

2:76

well i did a solid cam setup , twin carbs , headers , factory dual point and my 65 880 rag with its original 130k 383 , buried the 120mph speedo at the top of second gear at 6k rpm , and then i place it in drive and rocketed down the highway , we ran out of speedo at 120 but i went from 6k rpm at the top of second , and went close in third . i'll say 140 mph easy . i never ran it to the top of third gear . with 2.76's in the butt and 27 inch tires . well no good pics , but maybe someone remembers this butt blowing by you on 280/680 freeway one sunday morning , we where three in the car going to a goodguys swapmeet .

DSC08125.JPG

130 mph. 1975 Gran Fury custom, 360 4bbl with a 140 police speedo. Nashville to downtown Chicago 7 hrs.

The stock 383 2bbl 2.73 setup did the 120 on the speedo, however accurate it was. I haven't ever wound it out with the OD, turbos, and 140 certified

Technically not a C body (or maybe it is) but 1979 Plymouth Fury, ex Ohio Highway Patrol, looked just like Roscoe P Coletrains, (gi gi gi) 440 thermoquad with lean burn, 130 mph,I took her up slow, at 130 the 4 bbl was just starting to sing, it had more balls than I did LOL

65.. coming home from picking her up last November, everything stock to my knowledge. We don't know each other that well yet. :)

Having only owned my C Body for 6 months, 90 is about it. However, some years ago after leaving my sister's house in southern Louisville KY, and being late to have lunch with my dad in Elizabethtown. I was driving my 94 Impala SS. I was at the restaurant in just under 19 min, and travel 55 some miles to get there. I did see 144 on the speedo. They are supposed to be governed at 140, but that is not the case. I did get to enjoy lunch, and had a petty good story to tell too!

Back