Wheel Bearings?

macr0w

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to change out the front wheel bearings on my son's 65 Imperial.
The local parts stores have "National" A3's and A5's in stock.
Rock Auto lists a few different brands such as Timken, SKF, BCA, Centric, National, etc...
Are there any name brands that I should stay away from?
Are they all the same?
Thanks

BigblueC

Reaction score
If I remember correctly "National" brand is made by Timken. I recommend buying USA made or Mex/Can. Stay away from chinese stuff if at all possible. It can be a crap shoot if you go the chinese route.

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto lists a few different brands such as Timken, SKF, BCA, Centric, National, etc...

Most likely, they are all made by a couple different companies and boxed accordingly.

Timken and SKF are the premium brands, with Timken being an American based company and SKF a Swedish company. I don't think you would go wrong with either brand.

I would stay away from Centric, just on their reputation as an offshore parts supplier.

Basically, always stay away from the "economy" section of RA.

david hill

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
If you have a big budget By Timken. In the real world of auto repair I have used National w/ no issues. Keep it clean on install and use a High quality grease and you are go to go.

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I use National a lot, but my local auto parts stocks National. Timken is usually special order

CBODY67

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Might consider Valvoline "Gray" synthetic moly-fortified (Ford spec) wheel bearing grease. Anything "Ford disc brake spec" should have moly in it, even if not synthetic, by observation. When done, be sure to do the FSM-method of tightening the bearings for min end-play, for best results.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Corbin

Reaction score
You can also take the bearing 'number' and shop it at an industrial supply house (i.e. Motion Industries). FWIW the last two sets of bearings I bought from SKF came from overseas.

LEWISEMATKINJR

Reaction score
All taperd roller bearings use the Timken numbering system on components (eg. lm67048/lm67010). National is owned by Timken, just as bower/bca is. Federal Mogul sold them to the Timken Company within the last 5 years. SKF is the next line of quality bearings. They own C/R (Chicago Rawhide) seals also.

Detroit_Lives

Reaction score