Wheel Stud Question

griswold00

Reaction score
So we went to get new tires on my son's 66 Polara 2dr Hardtop yesterday and found out the jackwagon who had it before used some incorrect wheel studs, and JB Welded them in place. Needless to say the JB Weld did not hold up to the shops impact guns. So we have 3 loose studs in one wheel.

Speedway motors is local for me, which is super nice, but I am totally confused by the sizes and Knurl on the studs on their site. Does anyone know what size studs I should get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Take a old one with you, measure it and make sure everything jives and will work for what you need. It's not that complicated. Good Luck

Take a old one with you, measure it and make sure everything jives and will work for what you need. It's not that complicated. Good Luck
Duh! Just take one that works along to get the right ones :)

Sorry that was the easy answer and I was being dense!

Do we assume correctly that these wheel studs are loose and rattling around in a 14" 15" drum? or iz it a rear axle shaft? Left or Right side? Might be easier to start over with a good drum or re-drill the axle end? We have a couple guyz in this group you know that will have the partz you'll need. and no JB Weld, win win, Jer

Last edited:
you know about the left hand thread thing ?
Yes, what he's asking is very important. Many people are not aware of the fact that until 1971, the threads on the Driver's side were left-threaded. Many times people have tried to remove them until they simply break off.

Your '66 Polara will be in the same condition.

You will hope and pray that damage wasn't done to A) the Hub itself or B) the Brake Drum...
Oblong holes on a brake drum are a recipe for DISASTER... There is no sugar coating it...
Speedway is a new-fangled company and will only have access to the new world of Chineseum wheel studs.... And CERTAINLY --- NO LEFTYS......
If you need, I have NEW N.O.S. U.S.A. made Brake Drums & All the Studs --- LEFTYS and Righties.
Sorry, No Hubs, All my NEW N.O.S. are long ago sold....they are used world only.....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935 ...... New York.....

You will hope and pray that damage wasn't done to A) the Hub itself or B) the Brake Drum...
Oblong holes on a brake drum are a recipe for DISASTER... There is no sugar coating it...
Speedway is a new-fangled company and will only have access to the new world of Chineseum wheel studs.... And CERTAINLY --- NO LEFTYS......
If you need, I have NEW N.O.S. U.S.A. made Brake Drums & All the Studs --- LEFTYS and Righties.
Sorry, No Hubs, All my NEW N.O.S. are long ago sold....they are used world only.....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935 ...... New York.....

Will call you later this morning. However yes, the hub itself is the issue. The studs are all the same size, and they fit nice and tight in 3 of the holes, but 2 holes are loose. One is just sort of loose, and one has completely failed.

Looks like I'm headed down the path of trying to find some used hubs hidden somewhere!

This site can be a great resource for Used HUBS -- they are frequently all over the field at Chrysler's @ Carlisle (recently completed for 2020) and there are a few at the Mopar Nationals (cancelled for 2020).

There are plenty of guys on this site that have parts cars, reach out to them... Put a thread in the parts wanted -- you will get a response...

As far as wheel studs, I have LEFTYS and Righties....
Call me when you need..... Yours, Craig....

This site can be a great resource for Used HUBS -- they are frequently all over the field at Chrysler's @ Carlisle (recently completed for 2020) and there are a few at the Mopar Nationals (cancelled for 2020).

There are plenty of guys on this site that have parts cars, reach out to them... Put a thread in the parts wanted -- you will get a response...

As far as wheel studs, I have LEFTYS and Righties....
Call me when you need..... Yours, Craig....

I wish I had thought of that when I was there.

Hey Griswold 00,
Hey, while we were on the phone --- look what just rolled in !!!! An answer to your thread....
See if Crazyboutwagons has the 11" x 2 3/4".....

Told you, on this awesome site, it wouldn't take a week to find one !!!!!!!
Yours, Craig......

griswold00: I have a set of used drum brake hubs from my 68 Plymouth Sport Suburban wagon if your interested.
Hey CrazyBoutWagons! I just got off the phone with Craig (@mobileparts) and he gave me a great education about all the parts and pieces we are talking about. One thing he mentioned, and I confirmed is that my 66 Polara/383 does have the smaller 11 x 2.75" drums on it. I measured the drum pad and sure enough, just as he said, it was only 2.75" not 3". Now he also mentioned that there is a sneaking suspicion that the hubs on a 2.75" drum are actually the same as the drum on a 3" hub. Can you confirm if your 68 Sport Suburban was 2.75 or 3" drums?

Hey Griswold 00,
Hey, while we were on the phone --- look what just rolled in !!!! An answer to your thread....
See if Crazyboutwagons has the 11" x 2 3/4".....

Told you, on this awesome site, it wouldn't take a week to find one !!!!!!!
Yours, Craig......

My thoughts exactly Craig! Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to me. I always love an opportunity to learn more about these mechanical beasts.

griswold00 from memory i tihnk they were 2.75 .I will have to dig them out and measure them i will get back to you.

Griswold00: I measured the brake pads on my front end parts.The pads measure 2.75 in .The hubs are still attached to the drums I don't have access to a press at home I am not sure how to separate them otherwise maybe someone here can suggest how.
They have right hand & left hand threads as they were originally from the factory i think a couple have been changed at some point in time.

20200824_125516_Burst01.jpg

20200824_125552.jpg

20200824_130546.jpg

Last edited:
Griswold00: I .The hubs are still attached to the drums I don't have access to a press at home I am not sure how to separate them otherwise maybe someone here can suggest how.
They have right hand & left hand threads as they were originally from the factory i think a couple have been changed at some point in time.

I've pounded them out with a BFH, put the nuts on the studs so you don't mushroom them. Pound both the studs & the hub, it will eventually pop. Heat helps but I didn't have any at the time. Good Luck

Back