Wheelbase question

Georg/BBTR

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I just learned that the Polara/Monaco wheelbase is 122 inch and the Fury wheelbase just 120 inch. I always thought they were identical! Can you guys explain why they differ? I would have said the under body structure is the same and so is the stub frame...

Thanks for enlightening me,

Georg

Polaras, Monacos and Chryslers had the longer wheelbase. The extra length was in the rear seat area. The rear doors are longer than on a Fury. However, all of the C Body wagons used the same wheelbase no matter the make from 65 - 73.

Yeah, wheelbase length was a big “selling point” years ago. The longer the wheelbase the smoother and more luxurious the ride. Even the two “E” bodies had different wheelbase lengths.

The noted model year range of C-body wagons were ALL 122" wheelbase cars.

The '65-'68 Plymouth Furys sedans/coupes/convertibles were all 119" wheelbase cars, which matched similar Chevy Impala and Ford Galaxie models. Seems like the '69 and lager Plymouths were 120" wheelbase?

The '65+ Dodge C-body sedans/coupes/convertibles were all 122" wheelbase cars.
The '65+ Chrysler C-body sedans/coupes/convertibles were all 124" wheelbase cars. In some places, they are listed as "123.5" wheelbase". I never did physically measure one so I'm not sure if they actually measure 123.5 and the 124 is rounded off for marketing purposes?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The 65/66 Fury's also have a shorter rear leaf spring than the 65/66 Polara/Monaco series even though they use the exact same frame rails

It's in the rear footwell floor pan for 69-73. The panel varies between Dodge,Chrysler, and Plymouth. Everything else is the same mostly. Subframes vary. Rear rails. Front floor pans. Trunk pans. All the same. Quarter extensions vary by make and rear body panels as well.

Last edited:
Polaras, Monacos and Chryslers had the longer wheelbase. The extra length was in the rear seat area. The rear doors are longer than on a Fury. However, all of the C Body wagons used the same wheelbase no matter the make from 65 - 73.

1970 Wheelbases (except station wagons):
Chrysler: 124"
Polara/Monaco: 122"
Fury: 120"

So is it fair to say that Polara/Monaco rear seat passsengers enjoyed 2" more legroom than Fury rear seat passengers, and that Chrysler rear seat passengers enjoyed 2" more legroom than Polara/Monaco rear seat passengers?

and the Imperials had an even longer wheelbase but for the fuselage models no modifications on the floorpans just the front fender/subframe is different

It's in the rear footwell floor pan for 69-73. The panel varies between Dodge,Chrysler, and Plymouth. Everything else is the same mostly. Subframes vary. Rear rails. Front floor pans. Trunk pans. All the same. Quarter extensions vary by make and rear body panels as well.

That's exactly the answer to my question. Thanks a lot!

Back