wheelhub worn out

66Joe300

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Last sunday i was on a meet in my neighborhood, as i drove back, i hear a crunch from the right frontside,
From this point, my car always moved slightly to the right, as i at home i touched both wheels and the right side was hot, so i think brakes would be firm, or the wheelbearings are worn out, but no the wheelhub where worn out, when i tighten the wheelbearings,
the whole wheel still has more than 1 mm play,
which are about 1/16 inch, now my question had someone an idea how i can fix this, or it's better to search good used parts?
Many thanks for your tips and ideas

First you need to disassemble the unit. Pull the brakes and rotor, inspect the bearings. For sure one or both of the wheel bearings has failed. Check the front spindle for a grove cut in it by a bearing race, do the same with the hub. If either has been cut, the spindle or the hub will need to be replaced. If you are lucky, you will just need a new set of bearings and the hub seal. The disc rotor and hub are one unit, so if the bearing has eaten the hub, the whole unit will need to be replaced. Your vehicle, if it still has factory disc brakes are the dual piston type Budd brakes. Parts for these can be hard to find. If the car was converted at some point, it would probably have the '68-71 brakes and spindle which are the single piston type. Parts for the single piston type are easier to find. Take the unit apart and see what has actually failed and report back.

Dave

Hi Dave
Thank you for the advice, all what you writin, i have done, i have changed the spindles last winter, the bearings are new, only the bearing shell from the wheelhub at the passenger side, just fell through and was loose, so I glued them, i think thats the mistake that i make, luckily I have already found a complete set

Hi Dave
Thank you for the advice, all what you writin, i have done, i have changed the spindles last winter, the bearings are new, only the bearing shell from the wheelhub at the passenger side, just fell through and was loose, so I glued them, i think thats the mistake that i make, luckily I have already found a complete set

The bearing race in the wheel hub always needs to be a press fit, that is what forces the bearing to run true. Otherwise if the race is crooked, the rollers tend to skip across the face of the bearing race and that causes pitting and the bearing fails in short order. When you replace the bearings, be sure to use a quality unit such as TRW or BCA most of the Chinese made bearings are crap.

Dave

Dave

Back