Wheels on a Newport

Yeah, the car looks great, just spectacular....... too low for me but looks terrific

That car is gorgeous, I think that's my favorite color from ma Mopar! Nice job except for the tips.

That car is gorgeous, I think that's my favorite color from ma Mopar! Nice job except for the tips.
Thanks for the kind words, guys! Glad to see I didn't stray too far off the map for the purists, especially since it was such a clean original.

I have gotten lots of haters on the tips, and I must admit, I am amongst the growing crowd. Just one of those things where you see it in your mind, but it just doesn't pan out in the real world. They will be changed out soon enough, but now I am back at square one deciding on them. :dontknow:One part of me wants to stay with the rectangular style, but in the slash cut profile (basically like '68-69 Super Bee style), and part of me likes the simple round turn down style (more period correct "custom" look). What do y'all think on it?

Are those 255's on the rear then? Any rubbing at all? And what backspace was the wheel? Car looks amazing! Great choice.
Thanks man! The wheels are 15x7's with 3.75" backspacing. I haven't driven it an awful lot yet, but so far there is no rubbing at all. I actually was going to go with an 8" rim in back with maybe a 275, but the 8"ers in this rim were 4.75" backspace, so I was afraid of getting into the leaf spring there. Now that they are on there though, it looks like it might just be possible. The current rear setup has about 2" clearance to the springs, and about 1-1/2" on the outside at the top of the wheel skirt, about the same at the rear of it, and bout 1" at the front of it. I'll keep you posted on any rubbing I may encounter as I drive it more.

What do y'all think on it?
My thoughts are chrome tips poking out a C-body shotgun style look bad.
To say nothing about catching them on every driveway.
Especially on a lowered car.
It's just non functional bling. Like a gold tooth on a rapper...

My thoughts are chrome tips poking out a C-body shotgun style look bad.
To say nothing about catching them on every driveway.
Especially on a lowered car.
It's just non functional bling. Like a gold tooth on a rapper...

LMFAO all day today! Thanks Stan!!!

On the other hand some nonfunctional bling is part of the design concept of these cars. :)

On the other hand some nonfunctional bling is part of the design concept of these cars. :)
It was the non functional bling that made the styling of the fifties and sixties cars so beautiful but you have to respect the painting already on the canvass before you start making changes. Salvador Dali trying to improve the Mona Lisa? That's pretty iffy....

< Sent from my tablet >

It was the non functional bling that made the styling of the fifties and sixties cars so beautiful but you have to respect the painting already on the canvass before you start making changes. Salvador Dali trying to improve the Mona Lisa? That's pretty iffy....

< Sent from my tablet >
I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment on the tips out the back. I think the overall look is pretty cool, I just need different actual tips than the ones I have. I'm leaning toward the Super Bee ones to keep the rectangular look, but lose the "frame tubing" thing. :laughing9: As far as hanging them up on driveways, I haven't drug these on any yet, but we will just have to wait and see on that.
And to borrow a bit from your analogy, I feel that changing peripheral items like wheels, tips, window tint, etc. is akin to changing the frame around the artwork, rather than changing the art itself. These things can change the feel or attitude of it, but are merely focusing your eye on what is already there without markedly changing the lines, profile, or flow of the car.

And to borrow a bit from your analogy, I feel that changing peripheral items like wheels, tips, window tint, etc. is akin to changing the frame around the artwork, rather than changing the art itself.
Excellent counterpoint.

Just an update here, I do have a slight rubbing issue with the 255 rears. I drove it quite a bit yesterday, and on a particularly steep, uphill hard right approach into a parking lot I had a slight rub. :confused3: It didn't carve the tire at all, more of a mar on it. At first look, it appears that it is rubbing on the pinch weld of the wheelwell where it meets the fender skirt. There is a section of it where it juts inward about 3/8" more than the rest of the seam. I'm gonna do a little more research on the cause and a possible (hopefully:eusa_pray:) easy fix. I'll post up again when I do.

I hope you don't have to use the "Big *** Hammer" to fix it.

Not to worry! There is a time and a place for a BFH, and my Newport isn't either! I may have to live with avoiding those type of approaches if it comes to that!

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I am so in love with that car I have to speak up about the exhaust tips. I hate them. I understand why you chose them so as to compliment the Slab's angular lines but they come under the Nice try but... category. Quite simply, they look like square frame tubing.

The new spongebob look

Yeah, I have done that in the past on a few rides for clearance. I'm hoping to avoid it on this one if possible, especially with the fender skirts meeting the body right in that area. We shall see.

Here are some pics of the wheels on the car. I did decide to go with the spinners on them, and I also installed some blue dots into those, just to add a bit more retro and some sparkle. I also wound up lowering the rear 2", and dropped the front down 1-1/2". I think it turned out pretty cool! :icon_cool:

That is a beautiful car there brother. I love the square round side markers and of course the turqoise !!!!

That is a beautiful car there brother. I love the square round side markers and of course the turqoise !!!!

Thank you, sir! A few more little detail items to take care of, and then it's just cruise 'til the tires fall off!:headbang:

Back