When did Chrysler start using a coolant overflow system?

None on my '70. The standard of the day was fill the rad to the top and then let it pee in the parking lots until it stopped.

A question. I've got a, what I think will work as, an overflow bottle, how high should it be mounted wrt the rad height?

Here is what I used - 1980 D100 bottle still available as new and I have a spare...
IMG_4985.JPG

I still need to replace the hose but worked good looked ok. Better than peeing all over the driveway

Here is what I used - 1980 D100 bottle still available as new and I have a spare...
View attachment 112346

I still need to replace the hose but worked good looked ok. Better than peeing all over the driveway
Maybe you had a spare! Thanks again. :p:p

Mounting height. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the whole bottle is mounted lower than the top of the fluid level in the rad. If that is true wouldn't the bottle just siphon all your coolant?

Mounting height. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the whole bottle is mounted lower than the top of the fluid level in the rad. If that is true wouldn't the bottle just siphon all your coolant?

No.

It will only keep going until he pressure lowers to the rated cap PSI, then it will seal and start drawing back when it cools down.

Your radiator cap would have to be quite bad. The overflow/reservoir bottle is vented to atmosphere so that it does not siphon.

There is mine in my 70. Not factory but it has been there for one Hell of a long time. Probably since the car was almost new

187134 2013 engine 2.JPG
187134 2013 engine.JPG

It will only keep going until he pressure lowers to the rated cap PSI, then it will seal and start drawing back when it cools down.
That makes sense. So as I understand a rad cap, the seal is held to seal the opening with a spring calibrated to hold to a max pressure. Once the spring releases coolant runs to the overflow tank. Now when everything cools down a vacuum will form in the rad as the coolant and engine block passages shrink. So .. how does the vacuum get past the valve cap spring loaded valve? Are there different types of rad caps depending on whether the rad vents to the street or to a closed system capture bottle? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I've never thought about this before and I'm wondering how it works.

Your radiator cap would have to be quite bad. The overflow/reservoir bottle is vented to atmosphere so that it does not siphon.
Ok, that answers another of my questions, ie why isn't the reservoir cap pressurized. I have seen, on some new cars, no cap on the rad, but a pressure cap on the reservoir. I'm guessing these are completely sealed systems.

Thanks for all the responses, I'm about to bite the bullet and drill a hole or two in Paul's paint and I figure I better not screw it up.:(

Chrysler started using them from the factory in 1973 I believe. If they were used prior to that from the factory, I would like to see a photo of one.

The rad cap has to be the dual seal variety or recovery type. Ask Critter about my $50 rad cap complaint....

From the net:
The system is sealed so that when everything cools off and the coolant contracts, that is, there is a negative pressure, the radiator cap/pressure control valve will actually allow that negative pressure to draw the previously emitted coolant out of the tank and back into the radiator.

Back