When was the last production day for C-Bodies?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly when was the last production day for C-Bodies? I would think that production for 1978 was wrapping up earlier than usual since the sales for the big C's were waning in the last days and they had to retool the entire assembly line for the new platform of cars.

My Newport was built on May 17,1978 which might be close to the end of production.

DSC03358.jpg

DSC03358.jpg

My '79 New Yorker was a very early car, last three of the VIN was 403, built the first week of August 1978. I would suspect the '78 cars were produced to the end of June; perhaps up through the middle of July '78 sometime. It really does not take very long to retool an assembly line. For example, it took Hudson just 13 DAYS to retool the '47 line to the all-new (and I'm talking ALL-new!) 1948 Hudsons. And remember, that was 30 years prior to this. Below is a '47 Hudson Commodore and a '48 Hudson Commodore...nothing is the same on the two vehicles, other than engines and transmissions.

610_1385531910198.jpg

5_36.jpg

My '78 and '79 New Yorkers. MUCH difference between the two, as you are aware. Like the Hudson example, I do not believe that the '78 production was cut off sooner than normal for retooling. Retooling really does not take a lot of time, in the majority of cases. Another example was when the local GM plant went from the Cutlass/Malibu to the GMC/Chevy/Isuzu SUV in 2004. The complete retooling took just three weeks; and this was for a completely dissimilar vehicle from the previous build line.

Silver-Chrysler--46926_1.jpg

th

Last time. Can we sticky this and be done with it once and for all????

C-bodies: 1965-1978 (No C-bodies before 1965 and after 1978).
C-bodies were full size, unitized bodies with a front stub frame, and rear wheel drive.

1965-1968 (aka Slab generation)
Plymouth, Fury (I, II, III)/Sport Fury
Dodge, Polara/Monaco
Chrysler, Newport/300/New Yorker
(Imperial, 1967-1968 was a D-body)

1969-1973 (aka Fuselage generation)
Plymouth, Fury (I, II, III)/Sport Fury
Dodge, Polara/Monaco
Chrysler, Newport/300/New Yorker
Imperial, (all)

(Furys (NOT "Furies") were I, II, III. NOT 1,11,111, i, ii, iii, nor 1, 2, or 3. Nor was there a Sport Fury III or a Sports Fury.)

1974-1978 (aka Formal generation)
Plymouth, 1974: Fury (I, II, III), 1974-1977: Gran Fury
Dodge, 1974: Monaco, 1975-1977: Royal Monaco
Chrysler, 1974-1978: Newport, 1974-1975: New Yorker, 1976-1978: New Yorker Brougham. Wagons were Town & County.
Imperial, 1974-1975 (all)

(1975-1978 Furys (not "Furies") and 1975-1978 Monacos were B-bodies.)

Last edited:
No one is arguing WHAT a "C"-body is, just when the LAST one was built.

BTW, you forgot the '67 - '68 Imperials.

Regular mass production (in the lates 60s/early70s) stopped around the 10th of July. The lines were changed the last three weeks of july. But there were still some "old" model year versions produced. Cars that were already ordered etc. I have seen a lot of cars with an SPD (scheduled production date) up to 730 (30th of july).

Carsten

The end of production date varied by year and by plant. '72 Hamtramck production went into the first week of August. '73 Hamtramck went into the second week of August.

"The last one built' would depend on what plant you want to talk about or include all plants.

We all still love you.
Plus, 99.99% of the people out there don't know the difference anyway......
It's the people with Plymouth Furries I feel sorry for.

So the 79-80 Dodge St Regis & New Yorkers where not C body's? They where awful big cars.

They were awful from a quality standpoint and not too damn good from an engineering standpoint either. But they were not BIG cars, especially compared to the '78 "C" Bodies. Also FWIW, the '79 Cordoba was way more "R" body than "B" body, even though the outside sheetmetal from '78 and '79 looked evolutionary.

"Big old Dodge"

I can't even count the number of times that I've heard people use that term when referring to any and all C-bodies. :)

After my Grandfather gave me his 67 Barracuda that he purchased new he would always ask how's the "Dodge" doing, not Barracuda, not Plymouth but Dodge. He was a Dodge man from the 20's, his first Plymouth was a 63 Valiant.

Alan

By 1978 Mopar was just building NY'ers and Newport's as the last of the C-Bodies. And the last day of production still escapes us...

You'd think they would have captured on film an event such as the last full sized car coming off the line. There are a million photos on the net of the last Crown Vic.

Posted via Topify on Android

The Crown Vic was a big deal to Ford. Unfortunately, the last year was nearly exclusive to cop car builds. Very few civilian CVs and even fewer Grand Marquis were made that last model year. The OKCPD bought over 200 of the last-year cop Vics, and currently have about 50% of them mothballed for future use.

@1978NYB - Have you tried Chrysler Historical and ask them?

I was under the impression 2009 was the last year of civillian CV sales, 2010 was the last year of fleet CV, all Marquis, and all Town Car sales, and 2011 was dedicated solely to CV cop cars only.
I think. I am not positive...

Posted via Topify on Android

The Crown Vic was a big deal to Ford. Unfortunately, the last year was nearly exclusive to cop car builds. Very few civilian CVs and even fewer Grand Marquis were made that last model year. The OKCPD bought over 200 of the last-year cop Vics, and currently have about 50% of them mothballed for future use.

@1978NYB - Have you tried Chrysler Historical and ask them?

No....but that's a great idea.

Back