When was the last production day for C-Bodies?

You are talking about this car:

View attachment 261145

This information is already in the list I shared in both this and the "1978 NYB, 393 miles, For the sceptics" thread.

Like I said before, I will only humbly kneel before a Formal with an MDH starting with 0624.

As to Chrysler Historical, yes, what are they doing all day long?

@LeBaron1973: Our Italian friend is Dutch.

Was there any cars built between 0620 and 0624???

How is this possible???

MDH date 6 days earlier with 2041 cars more than the black NYB built 6 days later?

The gray NYB

e8mvypv-jpg.jpg

The black NYB

cs43t8c181574-doorsticker-jpg.jpg

How is this possible???

MDH date 6 days earlier with 2041 cars more than the black NYB built 6 days later?

The gray NYB

View attachment 261154

The black NYB

View attachment 261155

Again....proof that cars are NOT built in sequential order nor necessarily on the SPD.
You can’t base “last car” on highest VIN or a production/shipping number.

Cars were built when cars were built.

Again....proof that cars are NOT built in sequential order nor necessarily on the SPD.
You can’t base “last car” on highest VIN or a production/shipping number.

Cars were built when cars were built.

Doug, so can we say the MDH is the critical or accurate production date of a vehicle?

Was there any cars built between 0620 and 0624???

The Jefferson line was going at 45 cars per hour ... 360 per day.

CS43T8C181574 was built June 20, between 11 and 12 AM. At 45 cars per hour 5 x 45 = 225 more cars were built that day. Between June 21 and June 23 about 3 x 360 = 1,080 more cars may have been built. How many were built on June 24 cannot be estimated, but they sure didn't close down the plant after building just one more car. At least about 1,305 cars separate CS43T8C181574 from the cars that were built that last day.

Last edited:
You are talking about this car:

View attachment 261145

This information is already in the list I shared in both this and the "1978 NYB, 393 miles, For the sceptics" thread.

Like I said before, I will only humbly kneel before a Formal with an MDH starting with 0624.

As to Chrysler Historical, yes, what are they doing all day long?

@LeBaron1973: Our Italian friend is Dutch.
My apologies, I looked at your name where it said Male 59 from Italy so....

VINs are assigned well in advance of production. As parts become available to build the configuration the plant is building that day they will pull the VINs that match the materials on hand. For example today we can build cars with the following options as all materials are present:

Option A
Option B
Etc

Then VINs/VONs matching the material availability are pulled and built. So sequential VINs are not necessarily built one after the other. At least that is how a Plant Mgr explained it to me when asked why car B was built and shipped before car A even though car B had a later sequence number.

VINs are assigned well in advance of production. As parts become available to build the configuration the plant is building that day they will pull the VINs that match the materials on hand. For example today we can build cars with the following options as all materials are present:

Option A
Option B
Etc

Then VINs/VONs matching the material availability are pulled and built. So sequential VINs are not necessarily built one after the other. At least that is how a Plant Mgr explained it to me when asked why car B was built and shipped before car A even though car B had a later sequence number.

Yep. It's pretty tough to build cars ordered in black when there's no black paint in the body shop or the shipment of 318 with A/C engine assemblies was delayed by weather.

You build cars regardless of VIN. You don't wait for paint or engine assemblies to show up so you can keep cars "in sequence". The line doesn't stop. You don't send people home and close the plant to keep cars in VIN order.

Doug, so can we say the MDH is the critical or accurate production date of a vehicle?

Yes. It would be far more accurate than trying to determine anything solely by a VIN.

PeugFra is doing a really nice job explaining and documenting this topic.

Thank you, sir!

I'm glad I could help and I learned a lot in the process.

Yep. It's pretty tough to build cars ordered in black when there's no black paint in the body shop or the shipment of 318 with A/C engine assemblies was delayed by weather.

You build cars regardless of VIN. You don't wait for paint or engine assemblies to show up so you can keep cars "in sequence". The line doesn't stop. You don't send people home and close the plant to keep cars in VIN order.

Exactly Doug :thankyou:

June 24, 1978 was a Saturday.... plant could have been open I guess.

Have we ever seen any car with a production date of 6/24????? Or is this the holy grail?

June 24, 1978 was a Saturday.... plant could have been open I guess.

Have we ever seen any car with a production date of 6/24????? Or is this the holy grail?

I am not aware of any Formal produced after 6/20 and only this one NYB on that date. Cars could of been manufactured until 6/24 as reported in the Detroit newspaper I guess. Would they keep an entire production line open waiting on sales/orders for the last week or did Chrysler produce cars as usual until 6/24?

I'm still baffled that Chrysler didn't keep any production records especially about the end of the Formal's.

Remember that with a total June 1978 production of 6,686 cars and a working pace of 360 cars per day a theoretical final production day of June 27 has been calculated (page 8, posts #144, #147 of this thread).

So finishing the job on June 24 must have required some overtime. I think they have been pretty busy at Jefferson that week starting June 19, 1978.

I am not aware of any Formal produced after 6/20 and only this one NYB on that date. Cars could of been manufactured until 6/24 as reported in the Detroit newspaper I guess. Would they keep an entire production line open waiting on sales/orders for the last week or did Chrysler produce cars as usual until 6/24?

I'm still baffled that Chrysler didn't keep any production records especially about the end of the Formal's.
I imagine they had records which somehow got lost and/or destroyed, which is why we can't get information today. I seem to recall something about records going astray when they were moved to (I Believe) the museum.

I imagine they had records which somehow got lost and/or destroyed, which is why we can't get information today. I seem to recall something about records going astray when they were moved to (I Believe) the museum.

Maybe getting lost might be true....

It sure is funny that they every known record and stat of B and E bodies.

62,000 miles? I thought this was a very low mileage car like less than 200 miles?

This car was offered on Hemmings for $21,500 and didn't sell. Went to auction and the high bid was $18,000 and that wasn't good enough. This will be another car sitting on the lot for years.

Last edited:
Should have taken the 18k at Mecum. I was up close to it and was impressed by the condition but really really hate the color combo.

Back