Where does my AC drain come out?

furious70

Reaction score
Can't find it under the car and the floorboard got soaked bringing the car back to Chicago. Can't feel it near the heater hoses underneath the car.

Need more information. Year and model of car and standard or ATC?

Dave

The fsm shows 2 slots but no tube. Looks like a trough with the 2 slots and then the seal to the firewall is supposed to keep it from the floor?

Here is a photo of the '70 drains, click on PDF below. Most of the time leakage into the passenger area is either a bad heater core or the cover gaskets that have deteriorated to cause the leak. Either way you are probably looking at having to pull the Heater/AC box to repair the leak as the drains rarely get plugged. There are usually two drains on the bottom of the cover that you can see if you have a mirror. Sorry about the poor quality of the photo as it does not reproduce well from the FSM.

Dave

Attachments

• Mail0112.PDF
    134.2 KB · Views: 280
Ya that's the photo I was looking at. Heater core already has a leak, but may have to take the whole thing out for the seals. Had it out 15 years ago or so

Ya that's the photo I was looking at. Heater core already has a leak, but may have to take the whole thing out for the seals. Had it out 15 years ago or so

The two drains at the bottom of the trough are half moon shaped where they go thru the cover gasket, this allows water to drain out, If they are plugged you can remove the cover under the hood without having to pull the whole heater/AC box although it is a PIA.

Dave

Pretty sure I was able to stick a screwdriver in 1 of them so don't think plugged. My efi rail and regulator is actually close to the cover, tight quarters

I have this issue of passenger-side moisture, although I do have drainage from the drain closest to the tranny. So....I'm guessing that it's time to pull it all apart, clean it all up, blow any crud out of the fins (I KNOW there's crud in there) and use the excellent Detroit Muscle box seal kit to make it tight.

I have kit already, and it really is excellent.

Link to that kit please?

Mopar - Heater Box Rebuild Gasket Sets - C Body 69-73 Heater Box - Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC

Mopar C Body 69-73 Underdash Shoddy Pad Sound Insulation

And I also have the newly released splash kit, which is absolutely, entirely, profoundly EXCELLENT. The owner, Jim Filmore, told me it took him a few years to acquire good and proper examples of all the various pieces (from guys like us) to reproduce for this splash kit, and shows.
Mopar C Body 1969 69 1970 70 1971 71 Chrysler MEGA Splash Shield Set

Last edited:
It’s great to see some of the C body stuff getting reproduced! Our lovely Cs have been neglected for far too long!

It’s great to see some of the C body stuff getting reproduced! Our lovely Cs have been neglected for far too long!

I think we may owe it--in a significant part--to members here who have been aficionados of the big cars for a long time. It is really surprising to see something so "C" specific as the splash skirt kit, but rising demand had made it worth it for some specialty manufacturers and vendors. Will AMD start making sheet metal? We shall see.

When I began to restore my 71 Cuda in 1988, YearOne had the trunk gasket, and somebody else had some emblems. Other than that....junkyard scrounging. Now, of course, you can build an E-Bod with nothing to start with other than a few pieces of rusty metal with a VIN on it. I doubt the C-Bods will reach that status of reproduction parts, probably because there's no Hemi option (for the most part) to stir the imagination.

Mopar - Heater Box Rebuild Gasket Sets - C Body 69-73 Heater Box - Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC

Mopar C Body 69-73 Underdash Shoddy Pad Sound Insulation

And I also have the newly released splash kit, which is absolutely, entirely, profoundly EXCELLENT. The owner, Jim Filmore, told me it took him a few years to acquire good and proper examples of all the various pieces (from guys like us) to reproduce for this splash kit, and shows.
Mopar C Body 1969 69 1970 70 1971 71 Chrysler MEGA Splash Shield Set

Does it have the gasket to seal to the firewall? I might just not be seeing it.
Is there a source for a larger capacity blower motor? I run the high side of my blower motor switch via relay so it gets full juice from electrical service bus, but the output still isn't great. Maybe my seals are leaking it everywhere, maybe the motor is gummed up? If I'm going to pull this out this winter I'd want to address that as well.

Did you look at the pic on their website? As I understand it...because I haven't done it yet, is that everything is there. I think the gasket you asked about is the one at the top of the DMuscle website picture. It's the one that looks like a whale swimming to the left. The blower gasket is inside the "tail".

I strongly suspect that our 48 year old seals are leaking everywhere, particularly the big spongy one from the box to the duct distribution box, and similar suspicion that the AC and heater cores are stuffed with cottonwood fuzz, assorted crud....and mouse fur. :mad:

l touched my foam seals only to see them crumble like 1000 year old dust...are a few gaps ect that lm gona sort out as well...want that ac to blow my *** freeze dried into the back seat when lm done...just sayin

Ok holidays over time to take this out to rebuild. Where's the best place these days to get the heater core? How about the evap? It's about 15 years old, doesn't leak, but the box will be out...

Back