Where to drill?

C Sickness

Reaction score
I want to run some alarm wiring through the firewall. Is there any pass through or grommet there that I could use, or do I have to cut a new hole? Also, looking for a nice waterproof boot to finish that hole.

I want to run some alarm wiring through the firewall. Is there any pass through or grommet there that I could use, or do I have to cut a new hole? Also, looking for a nice waterproof boot to finish that hole.
What kind of vehicle are you doing this to? Year, Make, model, and options would be VERY helpful.

Take a look at the bulkhead connector. There's usually a few connections that aren't used. All you'll need is the connectors that look like these.

No holes... No worries about water etc.

But, IMHO, alarms are worthless. No one pays any attention.

s-l1600.jpg

No drilling needed and the grommets are already there, lots of them.
2015-10-31_013.jpg

Just cut the tip off one of the insulation pins.

Alan

Take a look at the bulkhead connector. There's usually a few connections that aren't used. All you'll need is the connectors that look like these.

View attachment 407906

Being a convertible, I bought an alarm with Carjack protection. Once you start the car, you have so many seconds to put in the PIN code. If not, the alarm triggers- kills ignition and starter, flashes lights, horn, siren. Also, once a door is opened while the engine is running, you have to put in the PIN. If not, after so many seconds, you have a dead car again. If someone wants the car, I can open the door, bail out, and they can have it. Better than fighting over it. It's not going far, anyway.

I know the proper way to drive with the top down. I'm not one of "those people" who drives around with the top down, but the windows rolled up, (and sometimes the doors locked). It's just not right.

Also, my Hair "doo" is not affected by having the windows rolled up or down ;).

Last edited:
Being a convertible, I bought an alarm with Carjack protection. Once you start the car, you have so many seconds to put in the PIN code. If not, the alarm triggers- kills ignition and starter, flashes lights, horn, siren. Also, once a door is opened while the engine is running, you have to put in the PIN. If not, after so many seconds, you have a dead car again. If someone wants the car, I can open the door, bail out, and they can have it. Better than fighting over it. It's not going far, anyway.

I know the proper way to drive with the top down. I'm not one of "those people" who drives around with the top down, but the windows rolled up, (and sometimes the doors locked). It's just not right.

Also, my Hair "doo" is not affected by having the windows rolled up or down ;).

I completely understand the vulnerability of driving with the top down. I do it all the time. IMHO though, that sounds like more of a pain than it's worth... and quite possibly a bad idea.

If carjacking is a problem where you live, I guess I would be reluctant to drive with the top down... Actually, reluctant to drive those areas period no matter what car I'm in. I don't have that problem where I live, so maybe I'm not looking at it right. If that happened to me, I would want the carjacker to take the car and get miles away from me and not have it stop running somewhere close enough to have him come back. Hagerty can buy me another car at that point.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't expect someone to carjack an easily spotted car though.

But, to clarify my comment, I was speaking of most car alarms that go off in parking lots. It happens so frequently that no one pays any attention.

View attachment 407906

I'm a little leery of disturbing that bulkhead connector, as in dismounting it from the firewall. Could I use those spades you show, and just snap them into the unused slots in the plastic carriers?

I think I saw some restoration parts site on the 'web that sells those spades with the locking tabs-

I'm a little leery of disturbing that bulkhead connector, as in dismounting it from the firewall. Could I use those spades you show, and just snap them into the unused slots in the plastic carriers?

I think I saw some restoration parts site on the 'web that sells those spades with the locking tabs-
Yes, you can just push the connector in from inside the car without removing anything. On the other side, it's going to be much easier just to unsnap the plug and put a new connector in. It's a good idea to take a few minutes to clean the contacts with Deoxit while it's apart, and something that I feel is a needed part of getting a 50 year old car's electrical system up to snuff.

https://smile.amazon.com/CAIG-Labor...t&qid=1604224541&sprefix=de+o,aps,195&sr=8-10

That bottle will last a lifetime. Might be available cheaper elsewhere, you can shop around.

The connectors are Packard 56 connectors. Here's some that are slightly overpriced.
Wiring Connectors Bulkhead Fits Mopar Dart Cuda Challenger Charger RoadRunner | eBay

You can buy them at NAPA stores too, but you need someone behind the counter willing to look them up and order them.

Back