Where to find current values? (opinions welcome)

DSSA

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I'm trying to find values on a 1976 Newport.
Car has 114K on it (I'm assuming it's rolled over...showing 14K). 5.9 2bbl, auto w/ AC. Car would be more towards the "Good" definition via Hagerty. Bittersweet Poly exterior with matching interior. Interior is in VERY good condition, Outside has a few small imperfections, and a slight bit of bubbling starting to occur on the rockers behind the rear doors.

History on the car:

My grandfather purchased it from an elderly woman who belonged to their church when she stopped driving. It had sat in her garage and they worked out a deal on it.

My grandfather then put it in a non-climate controlled garage where it was ran every year or two. He passed away several years back and left the car to me as I would always help him work on it.
Car was then brought down to my property, and stored in a dehumidified garage.

Same grandfather's '66 Bonneville Convertible is about to be sold by his one daughter. As a result, I'd like to weigh how much work I put into this car before trying to sell it, using the proceeds of selling this, and my '47 Lincoln to secure said car.

I just replaced the carburetor on it to get it back out on the road. It drives decently, and I plan on putting it up on my lift to do routine maintenance on it before selling, but I'd just like to find a value estimate on the car before I put it up with a quick maintenance/detail, or if it's worth while to dig into it deeper (getting bubbling fixed), detailing the underside, etc.

I'll post some pictures once I have it up on the lift and am able to get the underside as well.
I tried Hagerty, but they don't even list these cars on their valuation tool site, so I'm reaching out here in hopes of getting some information from those of you who are knowledgeable on these cars.

"Old Car Report" is a pricing publication. They show values from #1 to #6 condition. Their numbers are usually conservative based on an average of the previous quarter sales prices. The May/June issue lists in #4 condition '76 Newport 2dr at $2200, #3 at $4950. Use there numbers as a guide or "ballpark" value. Individual sales and individual cars will go above or below these numbers. C-Bodies do not generate a lot of sales data, so pricing is often out of date.

Dave

"Old Car Report" is a pricing publication. They show values from #1 to #6 condition. Their numbers are usually conservative based on an average of the previous quarter sales prices. The May/June issue lists in #4 condition '76 Newport 2dr at $2200, #3 at $4950. Use there numbers as a guide or "ballpark" value. Individual sales and individual cars will go above or below these numbers. C-Bodies do not generate a lot of sales data, so pricing is often out of date.

Dave
Thank you Dave!.

With the data I was seeing (very limited), I was guessing in the mid-$4000 range, but wanted to be sure.

I'll just do a quick maintenance/detail on it and put it up for sale.
I appreciate your insight!

I fully understand the attachment to the Chrysler, but that '66 Bonneville conv would be a better investment, to me. It could be that you can spend about as much as the Chrysler is really worth in getting it ready to sell, unfortunately.

At a minimum, you can replace all of the rubber fuel lines, tank to carb, change the fluids, maybe a fresh set of spark plugs, add in a new set of whitewell tires. Adjust the carb for best running, but no overhaul. Then clean and polish as desired. Let the bubbled area exist as it is.

Just some "used car dealer-type" thoughts,
CBODY67

I fully understand the attachment to the Chrysler, but that '66 Bonneville conv would be a better investment, to me. It could be that you can spend about as much as the Chrysler is really worth in getting it ready to sell, unfortunately.

At a minimum, you can replace all of the rubber fuel lines, tank to carb, change the fluids, maybe a fresh set of spark plugs, add in a new set of whitewell tires. Adjust the carb for best running, but no overhaul. Then clean and polish as desired. Let the bubbled area exist as it is.

Just some "used car dealer-type" thoughts,
CBODY67
Tires are relatively new, carb is new. I'll be doing all of the filters/fluids/plugs this week. I'll take a look at the lines while I have up in the air.

Again, the advice is appreciated!
And yes, the Bonneville would be the one I'd actually put more time and money into---and use. The Newport is nice, but not something I'd drive much, and the Lincoln takes VERY short trips every once in a while--that's a "white elephant".

Dave
Dave,

I didn't know that they were still a publication. My grandfather had stacks of those and we used to comb through them as a kid.
I just signed up for their subscription, but the first copy I received, they only list up through 1969 under Chrysler. Am I looking at the wrong publication?

1659974703711.png

Price guides are all over the place and may or may not be accurate. I would look at completed E bay and BAT and other auctions. Also check all the classic cars for sale sites. If a car is listed for say $20 G's and hasn't sold in 6 months it's worth less than asking price.

Dave,

I didn't know that they were still a publication. My grandfather had stacks of those and we used to comb through them as a kid.
I just signed up for their subscription, but the first copy I received, they only list up through 1969 under Chrysler. Am I looking at the wrong publication?

View attachment 549741
Some months are 1940-1996 others are 1925-1969. I suspect that they do this to cut down printing costs.

Dave

Here is the page from May/June 2022 that shows the later listing.

Dave

Attachments

• Mail0054.PDF
    320 KB · Views: 148
Back