Where to look 440 short block.

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating putting a 440 stroker engine together for my fury. I don't want to pull the engine and have the car down for a long time. Question is any tips where to look online or yards to find one in my area?
thx

You're in MA. Look on any Craigslist and you'll find yards with them for sale. Just bear in mind if it's for a longer-than-stock stroke you should plan on having it sonic tested before you settle on it being "the one".

Thanks your in Conn so maybe you could point me to a good machinist in the area too? I used to use Hess Machine and Balancing years ago in Fitchburg MA. He sold his business and became a head engine builder for a Red Bull air racing team. Maybe you know him? He builds aircraft engines in Belmont MA now I believe.

@captin71newport doesn't get sarcasm.
Theres no room for more scrappers

20180924_152919.jpg

Thanks your in Conn so maybe you could point me to a good machinist in the area too? I used to use Hess Machine and Balancing years ago in Fitchburg MA. He sold his business and became a head engine builder for a Red Bull air racing team. Maybe you know him? He builds aircraft engines in Belmont MA now I believe.

Turbo, if you are serious, I've got the person to build a stroker for you or to get the same bottom end "kit" that is in my 68 Sport Fury. He knows where and what to get and might even have a block for sale. Just a thought.

Uh-oh now everyone is building a race car:wideyed:

No race car here, not for my Fury. I will run this by you guys and see what you think. I like the 3.23 rear end with my stock 440 especially on the highway. With the rather tall rearend it pulls ok from 0 to 55 or so but pulls better 60 and up. My Omni would wipe it's rear. I want to keep the rear ratio but have alot more torque especially around the 3000 to 4500 area so it will have alot more pull from 0 to 60 without changing the rear. So I am thinking about building a stroker 440 with a mild cam [maybe roller] with good vacuum and smooth idle. 440 source comes to mind with a 512 ci [I think ] mild stroker. I would like to use my HP exhaust manifolds and have a rev limit around 5500 to 5900 max. Heads I have not considered much yet. I would like to use the stock heads but I know they are restrictive compared the the new cnc'd aluminum heads out there today and would take alot of work to port the cast iron heads. Also I would think going to really great flowing heads would be a waste and would need headers to take advantage of their flow. No headers for me. Anyways just dreaming abit but I would like to get a short block and have it checked over to see if it is healthy to start a project like this. Is this possible or a waste of money??

No race car here, not for my Fury. I will run this by you guys and see what you think. I like the 3.23 rear end with my stock 440 especially on the highway. With the rather tall rearend it pulls ok from 0 to 55 or so but pulls better 60 and up. My Omni would wipe it's rear. I want to keep the rear ratio but have alot more torque especially around the 3000 to 4500 area so it will have alot more pull from 0 to 60 without changing the rear. So I am thinking about building a stroker 440 with a mild cam [maybe roller] with good vacuum and smooth idle. 440 source comes to mind with a 512 ci [I think ] mild stroker. I would like to use my HP exhaust manifolds and have a rev limit around 5500 to 5900 max. Heads I have not considered much yet. I would like to use the stock heads but I know they are restrictive compared the the new cnc'd aluminum heads out there today and would take alot of work to port the cast iron heads. Also I would think going to really great flowing heads would be a waste and would need headers to take advantage of their flow. No headers for me. Anyways just dreaming abit but I would like to get a short block and have it checked over to see if it is healthy to start a project like this. Is this possible or a waste of money??

Turbo, we should talk some time.

. 440 source comes to mind with a 512 ci [I think ] mild stroker
If you just want to do it to do it, sure NP.
I would like to use my HP exhaust manifolds
Counter productive for the above. More cubic inches stiffed into the same compromise.

Mild aluminum heads and intake with a slightly warmer cam on a solid stock stroke 440 would get you what your looking for even with the cork in the exhaust.
Just my 2 cents FWIW.
Matter of fact a cam change and headers on your stock 440 would get you what your talking about.

I would like to use my HP exhaust manifolds and have a rev limit around 5500 to 5900 max. Heads I have not considered much yet. I would like to use the stock heads but I know they are restrictive compared the the new cnc'd aluminum heads out there today and would take alot of work to port the cast iron heads.
Just FYI, the angled plugs on Edelbrock heads don't play well with the HP manifolds. The others are livable, but plug #7 is really tight with the C-body driver's side HP manifold. I was always burning boots on that one, I had to make a special socket to change the plug, and it was only accessible from under the car.

That's good to know. I guess I need to know if I keep the HP manifolds and use the stock heads either stock or ported, stroked bottom end , will that max out the manifolds? If so, stroking the motor it maybe not be worth it with the HP's I don't know. Maybe the manifolds are maxed out now with my stock 440 already.

That's good to know. I guess I need to know if I keep the HP manifolds and use the stock heads either stock or ported, stroked bottom end , will that max out the manifolds? If so, stroking the motor it maybe not be worth it with the HP's I don't know. Maybe the manifolds are maxed out now with my stock 440 already.

The stock appearing 520" in my 68 Sport Fury has HP exhaust manifolds with a little work to them, 906 heads with what I will refer to as a mid-range port etc. job and a factory steel intake and it runs on pump gas and has run a 13.45 1/4 mile @ 4,550 lbs, a 3.73 rear gear and G70-15 bias ply tires.

IMHO, if the engine builder takes into consideration the use of the car, the heads, intake and exhaust being used and flow tests the heads and knows how to match a cam (mine is a custom grind) then an awesome combination can be built using factory HP exhaust manifolds and a good exhaust (mine is a 2.5" TTI system). It is a matter of matching parts knowing how each part will effect performance. The other thing is that for our C Bodys, you typically want a torque monster under the hood to get the weight moving and with a torque monster stroker you are necessarily running high RPM's that require a lot of air flow. IMHO, spend the money on a quality bottom end that will last as long as you own the car.

A mild stroker with HP manifolds may just fit the bill for what you are looking for.

There is a race and show on Sunday at Lebanon Valley. I will not be going but if you feel like taking a ride, I will tell you who to go and talk to. Also, you will see cars running low 11 second 1/4 mile times with HP manifolds and steel intakes. Granted most of these cars have very high compression ratios and run on racing fuel but they are still running these times with a lot of rules restrictions on what modifications can be run.

Feel free to PM me.

101_3294.jpg

The stock appearing 520" in my 68 Sport Fury has HP exhaust manifolds with a little work to them, 906 heads with what I will refer to as a mid-range port etc. job and a factory steel intake and it runs on pump gas and has run a 13.45 1/4 mile @ 4,550 lbs, a 3.73 rear gear and G70-15 bias ply tires.

The stock look hiding a stroker on your car is what I would like. {Looks great by the way} Very nice times too especially for such a big heavy car. I want a torque monster and use HP manifolds. I don't need aluminum heads, just a light port job on the stock heads would be fine if it got the job done. I actually would prefer it. I would guess by my buttOmeter my Fury with 3.23 rear is a mid to high 15 second car. It pulls pretty good over 60 mph. If I could get it into the mid to low 14's I would be very happy. Possible with the 3.23?
Mild cam ,high vacuum, smooth idle,5500 red line, lots of torque. I do have one question though,if I had some extra money can you run a roller cam on the stock heads and do they make a roller cam to suite my needs? Would the roller cam be benificial in the torque HP department at such relatively low rpms? Maybe not worth it.
Too bad about Lebanon Valley this weekend. In the summers I live about a 30 minute drive from there but had to leave to work in Boston. Thanks alot for the detailed reply. I know power corrupts but now that I am older I know what will satisfy me and live abit longer lol.

Last edited:
Back