Which air cleaner????

Joseph James

Reaction score
i am shopping for the correct air cleaner for my car. It came with the bottom but nothing else. I have a Holley chrome top half on now to hold the filter.

1968 Sport Fury 383 2bbl BBD carb.

eBay has a bunch but I do t know single or dual snorkel, etc. Thanks in advance for help.

Are we sure it's a single round snorkel? I've only ever seen that up to 67. 68 and up use dual oval snorkels or no snorkels, and I've never seen a single oval snorkel... but I could be wrong.

Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification
Can't speak for 1968, but in 1970 the 2bbl 383 still had a single snorkel air cleaner. I still have the one that came on my car.

How about every Imperial of that era except for the few 68 that got a dual snorkel.:lol:

Right - the Imps got a single oval snorkel, with the snorkel necking down to a much smaller opening than at the air cleaner housing, yes? I would not call that a round tube, but an oval...

Like this:

Standard-Engine.jpg

Are we sure it's a single round snorkel? I've only ever seen that up to 67. 68 and up use dual oval snorkels or no snorkels, and I've never seen a single oval snorkel... but I could be wrong.

Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification

'68 383-2V came with a non-pie tin single snorkel air cleaner with a shorter snorkel than what is in the photos above. Imperials got a long snorkel. A Fury should have a shorter single snorkel with a hose to the valve cover breather on the driver's side of the air cleaner.

i am shopping for the correct air cleaner for my car. It came with the bottom but nothing else. I have a Holley chrome top half on now to hold the filter.

1968 Sport Fury 383 2bbl BBD carb.

eBay has a bunch but I do t know single or dual snorkel, etc. Thanks in advance for help.
With a lot of people upgrading to 4bbl there should be no shortage of correct 2bbl air cleaners out there.

2bbl 68 383 single round snorkel....
View attachment 303851

This style/type of air cleaner top is correct for the '65-'67 383s, 2bbl and 4bbl. Note the flare at the end of the snorkel! Compared to how the dual snorkel in post #14 has the "inserted" flares in the end of the snorkels, which I believe is for '68 dual snorkels. On this style of air cleaner, it's the base plate which defines if it's a 2bbl AND which 4bbl it fits ('67 used the small hole AFB, whereas the '67 Holley 4160s used the large hole, as did the '68 4bbls. Same part number filter element for all, including the 1968 Road Runner open element air cleaner.

Non-CAP cars in '67 did not have the closed breather cap, as pictured. The non-CAP cars had the non-hose snorkel and open breather cap (which usually put a small oil drop stain on the valve cover, over time. Not sure about the '68s, though.

For model year 1969, the rectangular snorkels replaced the round/oval snorkels, single or dual.

For an incognito open element, stock appearing snorkel air cleaner, put the base from the Road Runner air cleaner (must have a Holley 4160 or large hole AFB or AVS carb) under the snorkel top. Leaves about 2" of open space around the bottom edge of the filter top. Just don't see the edge of the filter base plate around the bottom of the air cleaner top . . . IF anybody knows to look there.

CBODY67

I’ve got this top that I’d part with for $40 + shipping.
54945EA0-3C75-4C82-AF8E-379C2FB90EE6.jpeg
0CF3130B-0280-4786-8BFD-DCD55CECA69A.jpeg
84BB5DD1-349B-4035-84E8-ADE83AF422A6.jpeg

Back