Which is correct HP manifold for a '70 New Yorker?

330dTA

Reaction score
I'm having my 440 gone through at an engine shop. Very basic rebuild, just to put it back on the road after sitting in a garage for who knows how long. As I couldn't get a correct '70 engine, I settled for a '69. It's a regular 350hp version, but I've asked them to refresh it with HP pieces.

Now, for the left hand HP manifold I have two pieces. The upper one, #2951216, and the lower one, #2863409. But which would be correct for a 1970 model year?
HP Manifolds_LH.jpg

The lower one.

But, before you do, have you ever tried to change spark plugs on a car that had these on it? I true pain, I'll let you know! Just saying....

Thanks, and no I haven’t. I guess I’ll have to get used to it. LOL. - Seriously: I’d put TTI headers into it, only I want to keep the OEM look as far as possible.

The lower one.

But, before you do, have you ever tried to change spark plugs on a car that had these on it? I true pain, I'll let you know! Just saying....

Snotty, you are not correct. The top one is correct as in 1970 the upper version had the heat shields on them. The fins transferred greater heat to the heat stove that mounts on the top of that manifold and the heat was sent to the air cleaner through a flexible tube to aid cold driveability and emissions.

I had bought a set for my Newport; it has a NOM 440. Before I installed them I did a tune-up on my buddy's 300-Hurst. What a pain in my butt!!! I sold those manifolds to a buddy in Sweden!

Sorry Snotty, you are not correct. The top one is correct as in 1970 the upper version had the heat shields on them. The fins transferred greater heat to the heat stove that mounts on the top of that manifold
Very well, but I had only seen the finned ones on later 440s and motorhomes.

Thanks for the correction and guidance. I have eyed those Moparts casting number pages but could not make up my mind. Always better to ask the experts. Thanks again!

Chrysler casting numbers tend to follow the same orientation as their part numbers.
200000 would be 1960s numbers, second digit would be the particular model year first used.
300000 would be 1970s numbers, second digit would be the particular model year first used.

Starting with the '70 cars, which had the "heat stove" for the hot air air cleaner, the exhaust manifold the heat pipe connected to had added ribs for great heat transfer to the air being heated before it got to the air cleaner snorkel. Hence, the added casting bulges for the metal heat stove to be against and the bolt holes to attach the "heat shroud" to the manifold. Some of these might have started in the '69 model year, in some cases. It is possible that the '69 casting number could have been used on '70 engines, but I'd have to check on that. In some cases, it was not unusual to find '70 cars with '69 casting number parts as they were used on the later year vehicles.

So, as neat at that lower illustrated exhaust manifold looks, the upper one is more correct. Might depend upon which air cleaner you're seeking to use.

CBODY67

#2863409 fits 383-4HP for '68-'69

See www.mopar1.us/exhaustmanifolds.html

Dave

2863409 is also correct for a 68 - 69 "L" code (HP) 440 in a C Body (the list at the above website confirms this)

*** That chart posted by Newport 66 is incorrect in that it shows #2951216 fits both the 440 & the 383 for 70 & 71.

:stop:*** #2951216 is for the 383 only. #3418352 is the casting number for a C Body left 440 HP manifold. Refer to your parts book or scroll down at:

http://www.mopar1.us/exhaustmanifolds.html

The angle of the manifold outlet is at a different angle for the 383 HP & 440 HP C Body cars in 70 - 71.

Sorry to report that neither exhaust manifold that you have is correct for your car. The #3418352 exhaust manifold is hard to find (unless you break into my basement :lol:).

2863409 is also correct for a 68 - 69 "L" code (HP) 440 in a C Body (the list at the above website confirms this)

*** That chart posted by Newport 66 is incorrect in that it shows #2951216 fits both the 440 & the 383 for 70 & 71.

:stop:*** #2951216 is for the 383 only. #3418352 is the casting number for a C Body left 440 HP manifold. Refer to your parts book or scroll down at:

http://www.mopar1.us/exhaustmanifolds.html

The angle of the manifold outlet is at a different angle for the 383 HP & 440 HP C Body cars in 70 - 71.

Sorry to report that neither exhaust manifold that you have is correct for your car. The #3418352 exhaust manifold is hard to find (unless you break into my basement :lol:).

Since it is going on a '69 engine retrofitted into the car, it probably does not make all that much difference, since he is going to have to replace the exhaust anyway to make the transition form the 350hp to TNT configuration.

Dave

Since it is going on a '69 engine retrofitted into the car, it probably does not make all that much difference, since he is going to have to replace the exhaust anyway to make the transition form the 350hp to TNT configuration.

Dave

True, but he asked which would be correct.

IMHO the 1970 since it is a 1970 car and after all, the heads are exactly the same for 69 & 70.

Back