White leather seat and trim refresh

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So Tux has some needs in the white interior. I had the seats rebutted and some firmness added, now my turn to freshen up the leather.
I have a couple of can of SEM super white spray.
I plan to do a serious cleaning and the some touch up of the colour with the SEM. A previous owner had sprayed a finish on it that ended up to be the reason for the dirty look.
If any one wants to jump in with tips or a don't list. Please feel free to add your thoughts.
Thanks.

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

Here's how I've always done it. Wait for a warm to hot day.
1) Vacuum Really good
2) mild water with a little soap.
3) dry with a towel
4) Cover leather with the cleaner, Then cover with black trash bags for a couple hours
5) Rub seat down with a clean towel, use a white one a see how dirty the leather really is...
6) Liberally condition the seat and let dry. May need to do this twice.
This takes several hours, but its really worth it.
Good Luck, white is tricky, as you well know.

I plan to do a serious cleaning and the some touch up of the colour with the SEM. A previous owner had sprayed a finish on it that ended up to be the reason for the dirty look.
If any one wants to jump in with tips or a don't list. Please feel free to add your thoughts.
Thanks.
You had better make DAMM sure that that SEM is a water base product and not solvent based, you'll be making lots more work for yourself. The solvent won't adhere [no matter how much bonding agent you use]! It has to be water based if you want quality results when dealing with leather. Good Luck

You had better make DAMM sure that that SEM is a water base product and not solvent based, you'll be making lots more work for yourself. The solvent won't adhere [no matter how much bonding agent you use]! It has to be water based if you want quality results when dealing with leather. Good Luck
Thanks for the heads up. It is not water based. I guess some research in order.

I'm always amazed when I look at the seats of that era ... Those sofa cushions are really something. At a time when european cars' seats were all about driver's support (side and lombar), they represented really something very very different.

I'm always amazed when I look at the seats of that era ... Those sofa cushions are really something. At a time when european cars' seats were all about driver's support (side and lombar), they represented really something very very different.

That is still the case nowadays. For long distance driving, Volvo IMHO makes the best seats in which I have sat (well, at least for cars that sell below $125k). One can drive ten hours straight and not feel bad.

@75LandYacht -- I'd be interested in your cost as well, pls PM?

So the mess on the seats is not dirt, it is a paint. I have been at it for a while now using acetone in small areas with 2 " hair bristle brush.
the seats look much better once the paint is removed.
It will take much more time and work. Looks like it was a quick attempt to cover dirty white seats.

So the mess on the seats is not dirt, it is a paint. I have been at it for a while now using acetone in small areas with 2 " hair bristle brush.
the seats look much better once the paint is removed.
It will take much more time and work. Looks like it was a quick attempt to cover dirty white seats.
You're a patient man

Some cleaning pics. The greyish areas are the old paint yet to be removed. Looks like the dark area on the upper back will have to be resprayed, it has been rubbed down to the real leather.
I have the Super white Color coat that my upholstery shop sold me. The upholstery shop says prep, prep and prep, then spray light coats. He says this will work. Stubs tells me above that it will not work.
I had a look at the SEM safety data sheet to see what the difference was from classic coat and color coat. This is what I find as base chemicals,
toluene
(propyloxy)ethanol
methoxy-1-methylethyl acetate
butanone.
I only plan to repair the upper back shoulder area that had been rubbed through previously. The lower seat cushions should clean up pretty good with lots of patients.
So all feed back is welcome.

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

Some cleaning pics. The greyish areas are the old paint yet to be removed. Looks like the dark area on the upper back will have to be resprayed, it has been rubbed down to the real leather.
I have the Super white Color coat that my upholstery shop sold me. The upholstery shop says prep, prep and prep, then spray light coats. He says this will work. Stubs tells me above that it will not work.
I had a look at the SEM safety data sheet to see what the difference was from classic coat and color coat. This is what I find as base chemicals,
toluene
(propyloxy)ethanol
butanone.
I only plan to repair the upper back shoulder area that had been rubbed through previously. The lower seat cushions should clean up pretty good with lots of patients.

View attachment 515280

View attachment 515281

View attachment 515282

View attachment 515283

View attachment 515284

View attachment 515285

View attachment 515286
I used SEM white on vinyl door panels, which are rigid. With all the chemicals, I wonder if it would leave the leather cracked after a short period of flexing during use. OTOH, @CanCritter used it successfully on truck seats, but I think they were vinyl. Maybe he can give a long term report.

toluene
(propyloxy)ethanol
butanone.
If you don't believe me, call SEM and query them about what you're doing and what you need. I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing! If anything you will get the true, exact answers you are seeking here!

With all the chemicals, I wonder if it would leave the leather cracked after a short period of flexing during use. OTOH, @CanCritter used it successfully on truck seats, but I think they were vinyl. Maybe he can give a long term report.
That's exactly what will happen! Vinyl isn't porous like leather! You spray a solvent base on leather it won't soak into the leather and it will eventually look like ****! It's the difference between a paint and a dye, paint sits on top on the material, dye soaks in and changes the color of the actual material. Good Luck

Test on a side panel that will be hidden. Or on a your basement sofa?

I am trying to source a color code or name for the white leather in the 73 Imperial. I have what I believe is the code. RLXW Spinnaker white? Maybe it transfers up to a current Chrysler number.

So Tux has some needs in the white interior. I had the seats rebutted and some firmness added, now my turn to freshen up the leather.
Thanks.

View attachment 515057

View attachment 515058
Have you considered Leatherique cleaners, conditioners and then its white dye? From having been a long time reader on the Imperialist forum, they stand by it for older, tired leather. I have not used it but they love it

Have you considered Leatherique cleaners, conditioners and then its white dye? From having been a long time reader on the Imperialist forum, they stand by it for older, tired leather. I have not used it but they love it
I will see if it available up here.

Back