White walls on road wheels: Wide or Narrow

73 T&C

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I’ll be buying tires in the next few weeks, I figured I would consult the group on your opinion of tires and white wall width 3/4 vs 1-1/4.

I’ve had good luck with hankooks and so/so with American Classic in the past.

Any and all ideas and opinions welcome.

Thanks.

084FC92A-860E-405A-8E17-93305B754C93.jpeg

97D9C4CA-13F2-4CC2-9DA1-0AA466264719.jpeg

F788486E-5FBA-4143-BF09-395B97704B63.jpeg

If you can afford the 1.5" ww that would be my preference and is what I purchased for my '78 New Yorker St Regis Coupe. If I'm not mistaken they were an option for the car when new if that means anything to you.

100_0396.JPG

I also believe that the 1.5 inch whitewall was an option and would really look nice! Best of luck whichever you choose.

A lot of the cars with road wheels had raised white letter Goodyear tires to start. But if the whitewall is your choice, my preference would be the narrow ones. As far as I know, no one is reproducing a Goodyear Polyglass appearing tire to match the original equipment tires in a size that is correct for a C-Body.

Dave

Let's see a pic of your car now.

Originally, at least the 1970 and perhaps the 1971s came with dual stripe very narrow whitewalls that are no longer available from any source that I know of. So I feel the narrow whitewalls carry on the spirit of the intended look better than the wider whitewalls. For my taste, having a wider white wall and the road wheel is too "over the top" in terms of "bling" and the narrow whitewalls seem more tasteful and enhancing to the look of the road wheels rather than overpowering them a little too much. For the Formals, maybe the wider ones seem more appropriate, since the overall look of those models seems to be a heavier, more substantial effect than the more sporty/lighter looking fuselage designs to me at least.

Knowing that purchasing tires, to me, is more about performance and durability in a brand that can be had rather easily (should the need arise), I'll vote for the approx. 1" whitewall, but a tad narrower or wider would not hurt too much. Just NOT "pinstripe" whitewalls. Unless you want to spend "money" for some Diamondbacks (with a custom whitewall width) or the "gangsta walls") just go with what you can get that HAS a whitewall on it. To me, THAT is more important than the specific width as I know how many brands do NOT have whitewall tires available any more.

White letters were usually for the optional 70-series tires only.

CBODY67

A lot of the cars with road wheels had raised white letter Goodyear tires to start. But if the whitewall is your choice, my preference would be the narrow ones. As far as I know, no one is reproducing a Goodyear Polyglass appearing tire to match the original equipment tires in a size that is correct for a C-Body.

Dave
Sorry, Lux, this comment in a C body context applies only to certain package cars, specifically 300 Hurst and SFGT and is inaccurate. By far, most road wheel equipped Mopars left the factory with white (or red) wall tires...even the Muscle cars...more so with C bodies. Just because many of the unwashed masses slap RWLs on cars now does not equate to how they came from the factory.

Don't believe me? Just sift through the factory literature...

As for whitewall width, it depends on the desire to adhere to factory accuracy or "the times". Formals for example in 78 got the wider white, because there was a return to wider whites in the late 70's 80's.

As always it depends on what you want.

Back