Who makes the best disc brake conversion kits for 1969-73 C body

fatwagn72

Reaction score
Im thinking about doing a disc brake conversion on my 72 polara wagon. it currently has front disc brakes from the factory, but i want to beef up the stopping power a bit. So i was wondering who i should go with to make the swap.

Thanks!

I will let others chime in too, but I don't think you would see a discernible difference between the stock set up and one of the conversion available out there.

I would make sure everything is fully functioning on the stock set up. I have factory '73 set up on my '66 300 and honestly it stops like a modern car now, so the factory set-up is very good.

I will let others chime in too, but I don't think you would see a discernible difference between the stock set up and one of the conversion available out there.

I would make sure everything is fully functioning on the stock set up. I have factory '73 set up on my '66 300 and honestly it stops like a modern car now, so the factory set-up is very good.

Mike: I certainly agree the stock setup is pretty hard to beat. Don't know why anyone would want to "upgrade" it.

Speaking of upgrades, did you finally get your locking caliper problem resolved? If so, how did you fix it?

After installing a several set ups i like the Wilwoods. Have 2 cars to do with them, both are B bodies. Thanks Zymurgy I have a 73 set up I think I will be using on my 68.

Agreed - if the concensus is that the OEM disc set up is among the best, then perhaps if the O.P. has noticed a decrease in braking performance there are certainly things to check on...

E.G. is the booster all good? Are the rotors in good shape? Are the pads in good shape?

Those are three places to look at for starters to see if the system is operating at peak performance.

I didn't understand you want to upgrade. My answer was "Go with stock." I paid less for a stock setup than any aftermaths kit could be found for.

Mike: I certainly agree the stock setup is pretty hard to beat. Don't know why anyone would want to "upgrade" it.

Speaking of upgrades, did you finally get your locking caliper problem resolved? If so, how did you fix it?
Cantflip suggest a test on the master it failed pretty sure push rod on booster too far out. Going to check this weekend if it doesn't pass then I will put on the new '68 master I already ordered.

Cantflip suggest a test on the master it failed pretty sure push rod on booster too far out. Going to check this weekend if it doesn't pass then I will put on the new '68 master I already ordered.

I was afraid of that. I am under the impression that didling with the push rod to get it right is pretty tough. Hopefully, the new / different MC will resolve the issue altogether, and you won't hafta deal with the push rod.

I was afraid of that. I am under the impression that didling with the push rod to get it right is pretty tough. Hopefully, the new / different MC will resolve the issue altogether, and you won't hafta deal with the push rod.
Based on manual sketch it appears the push rod is threaded on the end. If that is the case it could be a pretty easy job.

If not I have the master. I live to bench bleed a master. :) They always seem to take over an hour for me.

I agree with everybody else on the OEM disc brakes being pretty good, when everything is in good order. To upgrade from there you need bigger wheels to fit bigger brakes. Something like 17" wheels minimum, Mercedes-Benz rotors, Brembo calipers, and custom parts & considerable fabrication skill to make those fit the OEM spindles. It has been done, though.

Based on manual sketch it appears the push rod is threaded on the end. If that is the case it could be a pretty easy job.

If not I have the master. I live to bench bleed a master. :) They always seem to take over an hour for me.

One more thing: If you do diddle with the push rod, make sure you mark it, so you can put it back - if necessary - to its original length.

Of course, we want a full status report from you when you get everything worked out. . .

Back