Who makes the BEST Mechanical Fuel Pumps for B/RB Mopar engines?

What, if any is YOUR favorite brand for mechanical B/RB fuel pumps?

• Carter

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Airtex

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Edelbrock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Holley

• Delphi

• Spectra

• NOS

• other

• Total voters

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Greetings Moparians!

After fitting out Gertrude with a manual choke on that Stromberg WWC I'm currently using, I noticed that the fuel pump had started leaking DANGEROUSLY. So I replaced that with the 2 yr old Carter I'd got from NAPA for Mathilda when I needed a fuel pump in a hurry, and its doing fine. For the first time since buying Gertrude, there is NO SMELL of petrol AT ALL under that hood! I'd suspected the carburetor at first, but seeing made for believing this afternoon. I'm hardly surprised, given how long the car sat, and am glad that was the only fuel leak under the hood. Tomorrow I replace at the least, the filler tube grommet, and maybe the tank if it looks bad enough.

Despite snapping up another Carter fuel pump from Rock Auto this evening, I wonder if any of these mechanical fuel pumps made for the B/RB engines today really stand out for good quality. If any of you KNOW a GOOD modern brand, I'll happily try one out. I know the Carter pumps work well for the price, so I buy those, but I don't know how much Carter is left in Carter these daze....

NO electrics please. I want to confine my problems to tried and true 19th century methods on this issue, for now.

I still like the Carter pumps on a stock engine, Holley and Edelbrock should be good pumps.

Make sure that the bad fuel pump did not dump gas in to the oil.

Good call! The crankcase oil appears and smells clean. Wife likes the idea of changing it AGAIN soon, just to clean out any residual crap missed from the first change. This idea might get more air on another thread I'll soon open.

They are probably all made at the same factory these days. Bet a side by side comparison will show this.

My 66 newyorker 505/512 has the stock 5/16 line and a holley mechanical pump. I run 12.20@110 mph with that setup.

I run this holley pump part#12-440-11. it is internally regulated at 6.5 psi and 110gpm. I put it on because the pump on my car was the original pump installed at the factory in 1966. HOWEVER, i do not think the holley was necessary as i never ever had fuel problems and the car ran 12.50's with the stock original pump and stock 5/16 fuel line..

Read this thread. I went this route. Many mechanical fuel pumps put out way more PSI than rated. This thread is all about specifically a Carter M6903 fuel pump. On FBBO.

Mechanical Fuel Pump 101

Last edited:
Back