Who needs tools when you have tunes?

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
New at Crappy tire-
WP_20170218_11_32_00_Pro.jpg
- What is the World coming to?

WP_20170218_11_32_00_Pro.jpg

Each of my techs has a boombox on their tool boxes and they all compete for air time in the shop place sounds like a frigging dueling air guitar competition rock rap country christian its all playing at the same time real PITA

Each of my techs has a boombox on their tool boxes and they all compete for air time in the shop place sounds like a frigging dueling air guitar competition rock rap country christian its all playing at the same time real PITA

Oh I've been there, couldn't take it for too long. Anyone who spends any time in my garage eventually asks "where my radio is?" I explain to them that I am constantly listening to music whether by choice or not and this is my refuge. All understand. It's nice to concentrate on what you're doing.

Most shops were easy enough to find a common ground or rotate the channels from time to time. The worst were...
#1- The born-again folks who wired the shop with speakers for their music... 3 months of xmas hell... made up lots of my own words. My best was "It's the most wonderful time to drink beer..."
#2- Anytime someone (sometimes me) allowed a youngster to put thumping/rap crap on.

The funniest... was when I worked with my buddy Billy. I often explained to the uninitiated that Billy had no toys as a child, only a radio... Billy spent the entire day singing along and making up lyrics that usually called into question the sexual preferences of those around him or were harassing in other ways.

Billy was often a desired employee by those who wanted to clear their shop of the weak-minded. I haven't talked to him in years, but he was pretty good at getting fired or changing jobs at the wrong time too. A good tech, but I can't see anyone allowing him to continue in his ways in today's world.

Years ago, I had two guys that loved to listen to Howard Stern in the morning. This was back in his broadcast radio days.

I'm not a Howard Stern fan to begin with and really felt it wasn't appropriate for work. I really hated it when I was on the phone and I knew it could be heard in the background.The volume got turned up once while I was talking to a customer and I finally said "enough" and no more Howard Stern or no radio at all... Their choice. So, there was no Howard Stern..

Years ago, I had two guys that loved to listen to Howard Stern in the morning. This was back in his broadcast radio days.

I'm not a Howard Stern fan to begin with and really felt it wasn't appropriate for work. I really hated it when I was on the phone and I knew it could be heard in the background.The volume got turned up once while I was talking to a customer and I finally said "enough" and no more Howard Stern or no radio at all... Their choice. So, there was no Howard Stern..
You give them an inch and they....

I always have the radio on in the shop, too quiet with out it. You can hear the fluorescent lights hum, at work it's worse we have led lights just too quiet.

You can hear the fluorescent lights hum
I despise fluorescent lighting. They operate at an on/off frequency that freezes moving blades so they cut your fingers off and induces petit-mal seizures. Ever get dizzy when in a supermarket too long? That's why.

I always have the radio on in the shop, too quiet with out it. You can hear the fluorescent lights hum, at work it's worse we have led lights just too quiet.
Fully agree... I like the radio to be on, but when I get focused... I don't even hear it anymore.

When I first saw that tool box I wondered where the tools are supposed to go. Pretty dinky little drawers I thought.

Well my questions were answered this afternoon. My daughter has a 2012 Jeep Cherokee Commander and was complaining she couldn't find a garage that would change out a couple burned out bulbs. Right rear turn and left front daylight running light.

Seems none of these pro-wrench drivers knew how to get at the bulbs. One told her the whole front of the truck had to be removed and quoted her 3 hrs labor. I got volunteered since I have mega tools, a nice warm garage and no will to resist my daughter.

To get at the DRL bulb, the air filter cover, filter, body and air scoop all needed removal. I needed an 8mm nut driver and flat blade screw drive to pry clips. The rear light assembly needed to be removed to changed it's bulb. My trusty screw drive to pry the two fasteners and the job was done. The total job, less than 45 min including the Google time to find out how to get at the bulbs.

So I see now why we don't need a big tool box and much need for tools beyond a few plastic clip pry tools and few metric nut drivers - UNLESS you own a C-Body!
:rofl:

What's with the new breed of mechanic that needs 3 hours to change a $2 light bulb??

When I first saw that tool box I wondered where the tools are supposed to go. Pretty dinky little drawers I thought.

Well my questions were answered this afternoon. My daughter has a 2012 Jeep Cherokee Commander and was complaining she couldn't find a garage that would change out a couple burned out bulbs. Right rear turn and left front daylight running light.

Seems none of these pro-wrench drivers knew how to get at the bulbs. One told her the whole front of the truck had to be removed and quoted her 3 hrs labor. I got volunteered since I have mega tools, a nice warm garage and no will to resist my daughter.

To get at the DRL bulb, the air filter cover, filter, body and air scoop all needed removal. I needed an 8mm nut driver and flat blade screw drive to pry clips. The rear light assembly needed to be removed to changed it's bulb. My trusty screw drive to pry the two fasteners and the job was done. The total job, less than 45 min including the Google time to find out how to get at the bulbs.

So I see now why we don't need a big tool box and much need for tools beyond a few plastic clip pry tools and few metric nut drivers - UNLESS you own a C-Body!
:rofl:

What's with the new breed of mechanic that needs 3 hours to change a $2 light bulb??

Profit margin sir profit margin...did you charge shop supplies out?...that had to be a 3 beer job..:)

They said that to scare her and to make her go away. They couldn't be bothered to change just light bulbs.
It worked.
Nah...sniveling little DA was trying to make his paycheck... if you can't fixem fugem attitude.

Nah...sniveling little DA was trying to make his paycheck... if you can't fixem fugem attitude.
What if she said yes. After 45 minutes come out and nail her for three hours or hold finishing the job for another 2 hrs 15 min. so they don't get caught in a lie?

What if she said yes. After 45 minutes come out and nail her for three hours or hold finishing the job for another 2 hrs 15 min. so they don't get caught in a lie?
Depends on the kids and his advisors experience.

A couple examples. One particular engine would leak oil from the head gaskets, payed 10-16 hours depending on the body it was in. I had that worked out to sell it by 4pm and you can deliver it at noon. Never had one comeback and they just told the whiners that I stayed late to do it (I did, I never left before 6pm).

Another engine had a nice vibration damper that would come apart and destroy the timing cover/oil pan. Paid 6-10 hours. Had 2 tow in Friday night, put them on lifts and drained the oil, came in Saturday to 2 more... put those on lifts and started the oil draining, told everyone who was unwise enough to speak to me to Foff, and was drinking an adult beverage by 1pm. I know my advisor did not deliver the Saturday drop offs, he would have gotten his butt chewed off by customers wanting to renegotiate labor or been stuffed into the bottom drawer of my toolbox if he even tried to.

Would you like to hear about the days I busted *** for free? I mean worked really hard for it and little to nothing for the effort.

BTW, most places would have me replacing a light bulb gratis.

Back