Who wants to play NAME THAT WHEEL !

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
WP_20151207_16_16_20_Pro.jpgThis is one of two wheels that I have, they are 15x6 and have three small rounded rectangular punch outs just above where a dog dish would sit. They are very dirty/dusty but not rusty, no rash. just curious to know if they're original to my 70 newp. conv. they came with.

WP_20151207_16_16_20_Pro.jpg

Not an OEM wheel, that's for sure.

I think that's a replacement wheel that a tire store would sell. I see it has a dual lug pattern.

I do not believe that is a dual lug pattern - notice the two different sizes of holes. The looks like an early to late '50s wheel that used lug bolts versus lug nuts and studs. The smaller hole is a locator hole for the locator pin that is on the drum. This centers the wheel so that the lug bolts can be snugged up without problems. I've had wheels like this on many 1966 and earlier cars and 1/2-ton pickups over the years.

My '66 Imperial and '66 Coronet BOTH have wheels with these holes as stock, even though they do not have the locator pins on the drums nor do they have lug bolts.

Look near the valve stem hole for a manufacturer logo, such as a DCPD logo, Ford oval, or a GM stamping. You can also look inside the wheel, between the wheel rims themselves, for the same info plus the size.

15×5.5 would be a more likely OEM size that is a uni lug that someone bought to probably mount a couple of snow tires.

Canadian Tire used to sell rims like this as well for winter tire packages back in the 1970's...

I'll have to post a pic of my wheels, they are NOT "tire store wheels", they are factory units. Again, look for a GM, Ford or the four-letter Chrysler logo (before the Pentastar!) and it'll tell you what it's off of. Even Hudson, Nash, Packard, Studebaker, and a few other US makes used this very same style of wheel. I'd bet a buck this is one of those wheels.

That is definitely NOT a wheel that would've came with your Newport, the car is too new.

WP_20151214_13_28_23_Pro.jpgWP_20151214_13_27_45_Pro.jpg UPDATE- I think the Canadian tire special/snow tire theory is best bet, no pentastar. Stamps- Large 2, Medium k-scwiggle, Kelsey hayes? With a 7 underneath, 1977? Medium 15x6 JJ small 31 and H. Neon green/yellow sticker is worn but "product of USA" is legible. Thanks for the input.

WP_20151214_13_28_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20151214_13_27_45_Pro.jpg

A wheel that old will NOT have the Pentastar, as that began in 1963. The previous Chrysler logo was a CDPD logo (Chry-DeSoto-Plymouth-Dodge), and would be on this wheel, were it indeed a Mopar wheel.

That "7" would be 1957, not 1977, if it indeed an early wheel. It says the size 15x6 L. Were this an early Chrysler wheel, the width would be stamped on either side of the valve stem hole; i.e. 6 (valve stem hole) 0

OK, kids, watch and learn...

These are the wheels that are on my '66 Imperial and '66 Coronet. BOTH are factory wheels that were on the cars from the start. It is NOT a "dual bolt pattern", but a hole to allow the wheel to be centered on a stud that protrudes from the drum. Chrysler did not have this mounting system in '66, but had thousands of wheels with these additional five holes that went on cars. I guarantee if you try to use these wheels as a "dual bolt pattern" wheel, you WILL have problems.

First the Imperial. This yellow wheel is for the Imperial. Note the additional five holes. And yes, this is the STOCK wheel for the Imperial. This wheel was used through the 1966 MY.

The black wheel is the STOCK 14" wheel on my '66 Coronet 500. It, too, has the additional five holes. And again, this is NOT a "dual bolt pattern" wheel.

The wheel in question appears to be of similar style to my wheels. I am sure it is NOT a stock wheel for your Newport. It would be far easier to ascertain if it's a "dual bolt pattern" aftermarket wheel with a clearer picture of the center of the wheel. Could it be a tire-store wheel? Yeah, maybe, but don't you think there would be a logo somewhere? Western Auto, NAPA, Canadian Tire???

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

You're welcome..........taking the time to post is nothing.........taking the time to find it in my collection of magazines is something.....LOL......when the question was asked the picture I post pop in my head but...in which magazine did I saw it????..........all the fun is for me.........

My Dad got wheels like that for the snow tires on his 77 Aspen. They were universal wheels and they put clips in the slots for poverty caps. Fortunately he had full wheel covers so it didn0't matter.

Back