Who's going to the Nats 2018?

70bigblockdodge

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'll be there all three days. Getting in on Thursday evening at the Wilderness Lodge...I think.
Post here your plans, and what not.
I'll be there in this hopefully with matching fenders.
IMG_20171104_093832479_HDR.jpg

Of course it will still be lowering the property value with Mike's Goldie around and my B.I.L. freshly done Lil red Express.

I'm planning on being there on Fri and Sat. I'm outside of Dayton, so I just "commute" in my Jeep. I overnighted in Columbus one year . . . didn't sleep well, and it didn't save me much time . . . Looking forward to it!

I'm planning on being there on Fri and Sat. I'm outside of Dayton, so I just "commute" in my Jeep. I overnighted in Columbus one year . . . didn't sleep well, and it didn't save me much time . . . Looking forward to it!
Stop by say Hi

I’ll be there but as of now I’ll be driving my van full of parts.

Yeah! And boo hissss!
Any good parts? I need a 440 crank.
I don’t have one at the moment but I’ll see what I can do, I’ll text you.
I just bought a big hoard of wait for it....E-body parts.:D

Between about '88 and '05, I only missed three times. Other members of our Mopar club took cars up there for the judging and usually received trophies each time out. That was also our main "shopping season". The second year we all went, I scored an AM/FM/Multiplex radio and control box, with the cable attached. I got accused of buying "the innards of a C-body dash" as I hauled it back to our base of operations in the swap meet area. It was from a '68 300 and even had the dash finish plate with it! AND, when I dummied it up in the '67 Newport, it worked. That was also the year that Charles Dart took notice of us and we got some time on that year's video he had for sale.

That first year, I was "in heaven". Not having to hear a "hot rod Chevy" clear it's pipes! All of the color combinations I'd only seen in sales brochures . . . and much more. A great reason to get our of town!

As things progressed, I started doing the reservations for our club members who went up there. Usually at a Hampton Inn, which was usually about $75.00/double per night, back then. Endured all of the segmented construction on the Interstate! Those who flew up there would usually fly out of DFW about 8pm and get there about midnight. Head to Thrifty car rental for the requisite LeBaron convertible rent car. Then head to whatever lodging that others had arranged for in those first years. Later, I'd fly up on Wednesday to make sure all was well with the reservations I'd made,

We were in Indy that first year, too! Again, at the Hampton, adjacent to the host hotel. Lots of "teething pains" that first year. Better after that. Then back to National Trails for the rest of them. The "car show in the parking lot" was pretty neat. The regular car show was very neat, too!

The ONE thing which really impressed me was the multi-generational group that was there! Not uncommon to see to see a grandmother holding her grandchild under the Viper tent as her kids were out on the grounds! Never did see that, to that same level, at any other car meet I'd been to.

2005 was the last year I/we went. Had a black Charger R/T for the rent car. Finances went thin earlier that year. Not in shape to walk the airport any more, either. Probably in a few years?

Once we found a good hotel, we'd get on the waiting list for the next year when we checked out on Sunday. The BEST way to do it. As many hotel rooms as Columbus has, that ONE event filled things up all over town! Trying to get something "later" was highly hit-or-miss, "in the boonies"., or expensive. One of our members camped at the truck stop, in his Dodge van, near the Interstate, one year.

Y'all enjoy! Take plenty of sun screen, water for hydration, towel to wipe off with, and some $$ for food. If you're going to buy things, get a swap meet space for next year, so you'll have a better parking spot. AND, a HUGE memory card for the camera!

Have FUN!
CBODY67

Made "the scene" on Brice Road a few times, too! Best to arrive early, park, eat, stay late, then leave.

I wanna go... but I screwed up my vacation time in AZ this year... :BangHead:

I was gonna make a guest appearance. Then I was informed of the granddaughters birthday party. :BangHead:

I will definitely be there Saturday, I am thinking of coming Friday too. I canceled a trip the week before so hopefully that will free me up for an extra day.

Brice road is no more.

Brice Road was a crazy place to be. In the '80s, if you weren't driving a Mopar or had a "loves Mopar"-type sign on your vehicle, you might receive a small water balloon in your lap. That was in the later '80s. It WAS the place to be seen, but with all of the street burnouts and such, it was not the safest place to take a car. Like I said, once you got there, you WERE there until the police closed it down, unless you scored a room at one of the nearby hotels. I did get a "I SURVIVED BRICE ROAD!" t-shirt at the Nats, one year.

There was a smaller town east of the track that was trying to get something going as a cruise location during the Nats, back then. No comparison, as I understand it, but probably more fun.

Y'all enjoy now! Ya hear!
CBODY67

Brice Road was a crazy place to be. In the '80s, if you weren't driving a Mopar or had a "loves Mopar"-type sign on your vehicle, you might receive a small water balloon in your lap. That was in the later '80s. It WAS the place to be seen, but with all of the street burnouts and such, it was not the safest place to take a car. Like I said, once you got there, you WERE there until the police closed it down, unless you scored a room at one of the nearby hotels. I did get a "I SURVIVED BRICE ROAD!" t-shirt at the Nats, one year.

There was a smaller town east of the track that was trying to get something going as a cruise location during the Nats, back then. No comparison, as I understand it, but probably more fun.

Y'all enjoy now! Ya hear!
CBODY67
The hotel parking lot burndowns we're insane, what a mess the next morning.
Turbo fwd bouncing off the rev limiter, big block cars trying to get into 3rd gear, 90s diesels killing their transmissions, great stuff.
Now all these old farts are too scared to turn a tire and get a so of rubber on that million dollar 1/4 panel.:mad:

Back