Why do we always blur license plates on the internet?

YEP, I’ve always wondered why this was done. Especially while I’m sitting in traffic looking at license plates on the cars n front of me.

tag.png

I always thought it was stupid and never wasted a moment on it. Especially in a Craigslist ad where I provide some means of contact! All those people with their dirty thumbs in close up... you wanna bet if I contacted them and said I wanted to see the car, they'd text me an address!? Or maybe I ask to see a clear title; which has the seller's home address. Dumb.

The first time I saw it people were saying that somebody could use the information and get a duplicate title and claim the car is theirs.

The reality is nobody knows why they do it, just that everybody is doing it so it must be important.

Alan

So, should I go through my "garages" and blur the plates out of 50 yr. photos or not?

Notice most TV news shows blur them out? As do the car shows. Too damn many unscrupulous and crooked people out there.

Notice most TV news shows blur them out? As do the car shows. Too damn many unscrupulous and crooked people out there.

What could you possibly do with a license plate number? I'll pass by hundreds of them today and could take a photo of any of them. Same thing at a car show.

Is there a way one can use a valid plate number to dummy up a state registration?

Carmine, one can (in a no-title state, especially) get the numbers from a vehicle (tag and/or VIN), go with a fake bill of sale and get a registration. Then claim it's theirs. It's happened. This is among many reasons you can't simply go to your State's licensing authority and research title and registration history on a car unless YOU currently own the vehicle and show proof of registration/ownership in your name. There are plenty of scumbags out there that have equally scumbag cops, bank employees, wrecker services and insurance workers as buddies that legally CAN "run a tag". That's why.

Carmine, one can (in a no-title state, especially) get the numbers from a vehicle (tag and/or VIN), go with a fake bill of sale and get a registration. Then claim it's theirs. It's happened. This is among many reasons you can't simply go to your State's licensing authority and research title and registration history on a car unless YOU currently own the vehicle and show proof of registration/ownership in your name. There are plenty of scumbags out there that have equally scumbag cops, bank employees, wrecker services and insurance workers as buddies that legally CAN "run a tag". That's why.

I'd like to know if that's ever happened.

Seriously. Not to challenge you, just curiosity. I live in a title state, don't know which states don't have titles.

Thus I have no idea where to begin my search. (I tried.)

So just a bill of sale, written on anything, include a license plate number, (which is not the same thing as a VIN, and not typically photographed in the background). Walk into a state office, say it's mine, walk out with a legal ownership?

Our state's registration paperwork is nothing special. Printed in B&W on standard paper. Has the Vin#, plate#, my name/address, year, make, and a barcode which I assume is the above info to speed traffic stops by auto-populating forms. I could make a copy in less than a minute, then alter it in Paint to say virtually anything.

Of course the problem will come if I'm stopped and it doesn't match the state database. But putting that aside, maybe I'm from a no-title state. I create this paperwork, but use the Vin and plate# from a sharp Imperial I spot at a car show.

I just walk this into the state office, tell them I bought it, pay some sales tax and have a new one sent to my house. Go to your house, steal the car, get keys made and that's it? I've got a claim to the car by saying you sold it to me, stolen car report be darned?

Of course how a photo factors into this I don't know... it's not inconceivable that I could remember 6 Vin digits and 6 plate digits (since I'd be able to concoct the rest).

If that's the ownership transfer process, I'd be afraid to own anything in that state. People could just hold you ransom for the legal hassle and demand $100 to go away.

Well, in California one can look up the Vehicle Test History for cars. Especially useful for cars after 1975 that need to be smogged. So a car maybe for sale and the test history shows a long list of failures and it will need to be test before sale according to the law. Although many sellers want you to do it and get stuck after the fact. Can also learn when the car was last registered in case it wasn't and there are penalties. Not all Craigslist sellers are honest. I was looking at one car which had Oregon plates on it with the seller living in California. I emailed and said I would be interested but he needed to get it registered first in CA with new plates. He bitched like they always do and said it was the buyers problem. Told him the law gives you 10 days and while they don't know now they could know now since I know now. Get it? Listing disappeared.

Vehicle Test History
Try it out. Her is my long gone 1986 Mazda 626. Plug in 1PED911

Back