WHY FINS? 1960 PLYMOUTH COMMERCIAL EXPLAINS FINS

Very cool.

Maybe that is the reason they went to the wing design in 1969/1970.

The '60 plymouth was on my list when I was looking for another forward look after my '61 burned. That is not a bad looking car

I don't care what the clip says, they put fins on cars back then because they looked cool. The jet age was hot and car designers tried to emulate, purely a sales gimmick.

Alan

I don't care what the clip says, they put fins on cars back then because they looked cool. The jet age was hot and car designers tried to emulate, purely a sales gimmick.

Alan
Yes, purely a sales gimmick. They're exactly like two big boat rudders sticking up in the air. Try driving one across flat *** Kansas with a +30 mph crosswind and I doubt you'll keep it in a straight line.

I would assume that since this video is for 1960 (one of the last years with fins), that they are trying to market fins as being an engineering design and not the trailing end of a failing fashion trend.

oh they work great if you ever flip your car upside down while driving into a lake :)

Lol! Or blast off to the moon.:thumbsup:

Nice Imperial by the way. When I was a kid one of the neighbors had a 1960 and I got to ride in it a few times. They are amazingly luxurious cars,his had full power options and air conditioning. I like the 61's best.

Lol! Or blast off to the moon.:thumbsup:

Nice Imperial by the way. When I was a kid one of the neighbors had a 1960 and I got to ride in it a few times. They are amazingly luxurious cars,his had full power options and air conditioning. I like the 61's best.
Thanks! Obviously, 58's are my favorite for many reasons. It's fun surprising people with all the options they had back then. Ironically, the one in my avatar has manual windows which is rare for an Imperial. Here's a better pic of it.
Imperials.jpg

Thanks! Obviously, 58's are my favorite for many reasons. It's fun surprising people with all the options they had back then. Ironically, the one in my avatar has manual windows which is rare for an Imperial. Here's a better pic of it.
View attachment 77639

Among the 1957 through 1959 Imperials, I agree that the 1958 model was the best looking. It had a more refined and elegant grille than the 1957 and it had a more balanced amount of Chrome compared to the 1959 model.

Among the 1957 through 1959 Imperials, I agree that the 1958 model was the best looking. It had a more refined and elegant grille than the 1957 and it had a more balanced amount of Chrome compared to the 1959 model.
That's the same opinion I have. The 1957 and 1958 Imperials are virtually identical in design except for the front bumper and grille. The 1957 grille looks like a 1959 Plymouth and the bumper looks like it belongs on a 1957 Dodge. (btw, the 57 and 58 used different frames and swapping bumpers requires custom fabricating all new brackets) The 1959 Imperial grille looks too much like a 1954 DeSoto and I never could understand the appeal of the the dropped down / out of socket headlamps. Besides losing the Hemi, the other deal breaker for 1959's is the DeSoto looking instrument panel. I always felt the designers realized their mistake when they went back to the twin pod style in 1960.

I guess if they were truly effective they would have designed them that way a hell of a lot longer

View attachment 77639

Sorry for the delay in my reply. You have two beautiful cars! I think they are all beautiful,I think I'd have to admit the 58's are probably the best of the bunch too. They are all nice cars though.
It was a big deal back then if someone owned an imperial,or as Chrysler called it "the exclusive Imperial".
It was a sign you "had arrived". I saw a loaded pink 61 Imperial once the even had power vent wings!

That's the same opinion I have. The 1957 and 1958 Imperials are virtually identical in design except for the front bumper and grille. The 1957 grille looks like a 1959 Plymouth and the bumper looks like it belongs on a 1957 Dodge. (btw, the 57 and 58 used different frames and swapping bumpers requires custom fabricating all new brackets) The 1959 Imperial grille looks too much like a 1954 DeSoto and I never could understand the appeal of the the dropped down / out of socket headlamps. Besides losing the Hemi, the other deal breaker for 1959's is the DeSoto looking instrument panel. I always felt the designers realized their mistake when they went back to the twin pod style in 1960.

I agree with you here too. The twin pod instrument panel is much more attractive.

Back