Why is my 64 Imperial so difficult?

Imperial dude

Reaction score
Let me start out saying, its not the car, its everyone involved with it
Quick rundown to the latest SNAFU
I waited 3 months to buy it because someone put a $100 deposit on it
It took 3 weeks to get it delivered 250 miles away
When I went to get it registered the wrong VIN# was on the title
That's the major high points up until now (I won't even bring up windshield wiper blades)
fast forward to "it needs UCA bushings"
I don't have a place or time to do it, so I find this local, chain, mechanics shop, I had them put on the new tires, the mechanics are all older, and I didn't have to tell them it had LH lug nuts, they seemed to know molars, so give them a chance
I drop it off the 22nd to get the UCA bushings, said it'll take a couple days to get the parts, ok cool
Hadn't heard anything by Fri the 26th so thought I'd stop in to see how it was going
NONE OF THEM WERE THERE, THEY ALL QUIT!!
The new mgr, (maybe 33yo tops) told me the parts they had gotten didn't fit, they were too big, but he was going to have his buddy machine down the sleeves so they would fit
He reassured me he knew what he was doing because his dad used to restore old Ford's, and pointed proudly to his 90 something mustang. When he called the imperial suspension,"torque rod" I knew I was in trouble
I looked at the moog website, for some reason it shows 2 part #s k408 and k325, the parts they had were 408s so lets see if 325s fit
I go to my local NAPA, "UCAs for a 64 Imperial"
We don't show them, we have New Yorker, Newport, 300
Look under Imperial
It doesn't show Imperial
No, you're looking at Chrysler, look under Imperial
He looks at me like I'm stupid........,"oh there they are".............. Who's stupid now%$&@?
So can you get me 325s I say
It shows we have 1 at the warehouse
Quiet part out loud ....1 SERIOUSLY!! 1 WHO HAS JUST ONE UCA!!!!
I leave in disgust and go across the street to Auto Zone (that tells you my desperation)
we don't carry moog, but we have Duracrap though, and it cross references to moog K325
Soooooo, duralasts version of K325 will be in Wed after 4:00 pm

I know,I know, I need some cheese to go with my whine, I'm not new to the mopar curse, I've owned an A, a couple of B.s and several Cs, but this is ridiculous, I feel like I've bought a unicorn

Classic industries shows a listing for the K325 bushing, fits '59-'66 Imperial . www.classicindustries.com The ones at AutoBone are probably china crap which means the rubber is poor quality. Not sure where classic gets theirs from.

Dave

The "1" in stock is the result of the computer (or those who wrote the stocking level program) , at this point in time, understanding that customers want "2" when they rebuild their suspensions.

The other side of things is that once the exisitng batch is sold out, that will probably be the end of that part number, due to "low sales". At least that's how the OEMs typically look at things, no matter how new the vehicle might be.

CBODY67

If you want U.S.A. made Upper Control Arm Bushings,
I have them....(Sets of four (4), of course)....
I also have the Imperial ONLY (9/16") -- Front & Rear
LEFTYS !!! And Rightys Wheel Studs and Lug Nuts....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935.... New York....

And P.S. --- it sounds like you had better get your car
OUT of that shop..... I think everyone will agree.....

First...... Forget about any of the chain auto parts stores. Their only good for oil, filters, polish etc.
This site is your best source for parts and advise. Get a original FSM, and parts book. They can be a little pricy but well worth the cost.
Try rock auto, online. They offer every level and brand of quality replacement parts and ship fast. Usually pretty accurate. Shipping can be high.
Repair shops can be a challenge. Mechanics that worked on 50-60 year old cars just aren't around much anymore. Restoration shops can be scary too. Ask around at local shows and cruise ins......

OH..... and theres always Ebay.. I have pretty good luck there.

Last edited:
First...... Forget about any of the chain auto parts stores. Their only good for oil, filters, polish etc.
This site is your best source for parts and advise. Get a original FSM, and parts book. They can be a little pricy but well worth the cost.
Try rock auto, online. They offer every level and brand of quality replacement parts and ship fast. Usually pretty accurate. Shipping can be high.
Repair shops can be a challenge. Mechanics that worked on 50-60 year old cars just aren't around much anymore. Restoration shops can be scary too. Ask around at local shows and cruise ins......

OH..... and theres always Ebay.. I have pretty good luck there.
For suspension parts you might try Rare Parts in Stockton, Ca. They are pricey and will only deliver to a business.
They do have a lot of obsolete parts, though.

For suspension parts you might try Rare Parts in Stockton, Ca. They are pricey and will only deliver to a business.
They do have a lot of obsolete parts, though.

odd, but i think that's where auto zone got them from, the zone, showed the part# but didn't have any, one of the clerks said "try rare parts" and they had them, so maybe dumb luck was on my side
Update:
The UCAs fit, wasn't impressed he put them in with a vise instead of a press, but it is what it is at this point, the upper ball joints were bad also, so while they're lying on the bench....... The zone had them in stock!
"Ill press them right out for you" he says
NO DUDE, THEY UNSCREW!!!!!!
are ya sure?
Look at the FSM laying on the front seat!!
He didn't have the socket(of course) nobody else did either so it was kinda fun to see him struggle with the pipe wrench
Should have it back tomorrow
Doing the dual master cylinder upgrade as soon as I get it back
MYSELF!!
Then get those extra leaf springs out and she'll be road ready (knock wood)

I don't know it it makes you feel any better, but imagine having the same car (almost - a '66), but in Denmark. Not a chance of locating any of the Imperial specific parts here. Without the Internet - it would have been impossible!

Two Cents Worth!
I Recently Had an Experience with My Little Runabout Mazda 626.
Came Out one Morning & it Wouldn't Start.
Called NRMA (AA in the States?)
The Mechanics Opinion, Failed Electric Fuel Pump. (They will fix Small Mech Problems on the Side of the Road But Not Bigger Stuff)
So, Tow it to the Local Mechanic, Patiently waited 5 Days finally rang Mechanic to be told it wasn't the Fuel Pump.
Had to be an Electrical Fault. (Figured This the First Day, But they had Lost My Phone No.)
So, Tow it to the Auto Elect.
Patiently waited 5 Days Again Only to be Told when I Rang, they couldn't Find the Fault.
Another 4 Days they Finally Fixed it.
Total Bill $1,000.
Why do I get the Feeling that I was Charged for Somebody Else's Incompetence?
(The Other Thing that Really Pinged me Off was I had a Tefba Radiator Strainer in the Glove box for my Phoenix, It ain't there Now)
This is One of the Major Reasons I am Rebuilding a 69 Phoenix, If it Stops Most of the Time it's either Spark or Petrol.
So Much Easier to Diagnose & Fix than the Late Model Electronic Buzz Boxes.
Don't get Me Wrong, I Love My Mazda it's a Great Little Runabout, But the Moment It Plays Up
I reach for the Smelling Salts.(Not for Me, for my Wallet)
Regards Tony.M

Two Cents Worth!
Came Out one Morning & it Wouldn't Start.
Called NRMA (AA in the States?)
The Mechanics Opinion, Failed Electric Fuel Pump. (They will fix Small Mech Problems on the Side of the Road But Not Bigger Stuff)
So, Tow it to the Local Mechanic, Patiently waited 5 Days finally rang Mechanic to be told it wasn't the Fuel Pump.
Had to be an Electrical Fault. (Figured This the First Day, But they had Lost My Phone No.)
So, Tow it to the Auto Elect.
Patiently waited 5 Days Again Only to be Told when I Rang, they couldn't Find the Fault.
Another 4 Days they Finally Fixed it.
Total Bill $1,000.
Why do I get the Feeling that I was Charged for Somebody Else's Incompetence?
(The Other Thing that Really Pinged me Off was I had a Tefba Radiator Strainer in the Glove box for my Phoenix, It ain't there Now)
This is One of the Major Reasons I am Rebuilding a 69 Phoenix, If it Stops Most of the Time it's either Spark or Petrol.
So Much Easier to Diagnose & Fix than the Late Model Electronic Buzz Boxes.
Don't get Me Wrong, I Love My Mazda it's a Great Little Runabout, But the Moment It Plays Up
I reach for the Smelling Salts.(Not for Me, for my Wallet)
Regards Tony.M
You didn’t describe what the failure was...

If you want easy..... buy a B or E body......:rolleyes: Just saying....

if I wanted easy I'd buy a Chevrolet
Got it back yesterday
IMG_20210402_193051.jpg

So is that quality workmanship or what?
I think I know why he was having a hard time aligning it
And no I'm not driving it, and yes its going to a local alignment shop that's been around 40 years

Got it back yesterdayView attachment 450615

And no I'm not driving it, and yes its going to a local alignment shop that's been around 40 years
Wow! I did better not knowing anything when I rebuilt my suspension, at least managed to get the disc in the mount. It's not that hard, if I can do it.

69PHOENIX said:
Two Cents Worth!

You didn’t describe what the failure was...
Apparently a Short in the Wiring Harness.
Just Scratching My Head Why it Took So Long to Find.
Part of My Problem Lies in the Fact That the Mechanic Who over the Years, Did the Work I Couldn't, After 43 Years, Semi-Retired to a Country Type Location 30 Miles Away.
Good Reliable Mechanic, Reasonable Rates, Still take My Car to Him for Servicing. (Haven't been able to Find a Local Mechanic I can Trust, One Fella did a Full Service on My Car & a Week Later the Disc Pad Screamers Kicked In).
Similar Story, My Barber, After Cutting My Hair for 46 Years Decided to Retire, Don't Know about you Blokes But whenever I was away Interstate / Whatever
and needed a Haircut I had a Feeling that was Akin I Imagine to how a Married Man would Feel when he was thinking of being Unfaithful to his Wife.
Sounds Silly I Know But I used to Drive 8 Miles just to get a Haircut when there was a Barber just Four Doors down the Street. (I go to Him now).
I'm Definitely a Creature of Habit, My Doctor is !0 Miles Away, But unless I'm Dying .... He's been My Doctor for 32 Years (And a Good Caring Man), Why would I Change?
Anyway, That's one of the problems of Growing Old You Pick Up a Paper or Look at the TV only to Find Another One of Your Heroes has Died.
All I can Do is to Wish All a Long & Happy Life and May God Bless You All.
Regards Tony.M

fun to see him struggle with the pipe wrench

RUN! run run run, from any auto shop that has plumber tools in their toolbox! In all my years as a mechanic there was never a pipe wrench in my SnapOn box, even doing field work with my truck on Heavy Equipment, never. Only pipe wrenches I owned were in the basement for household plumbing. For years I still had my very first pipe wrench which was the littlest one which I used to tighten the muffler on my Briggs & Stratton mini bike, then a larger one to unstuck rotary lawn mowers that neighbor's ran without ever changing the oil.

Got it back yesterdayView attachment 450615

I don't blame him, I wouldn't wanna work on the filthy POS. Seriously if you want a mechanic to treat you fairly, two words 'Steam Clean'.

Back