Why is this hemi in the back?

Joseph James

Reaction score
upload_2020-4-26_19-35-18.png

I just don’t understand.

upload_2020-4-26_19-35-18.jpeg

If you went thru all that trouble to fit ac on that car wouldn't you need better off with the more compact and lighter Sanden set-up and ditch the old "double lunger"?

Just sayin'.

I never knew you could get a/c on a hemi...

Two reasons. 1) The "performance" engine would make more rpms for extended periods of time than the compressor could tolerate, plus the power drain. Similar on many GM and Ford factory hot rods, back then.
2) A new air cleaner base would have been needed. 426 HEMIS and 440 3x2bls, either way. I saw one '70 440/375 that had a factory 3x2bbl set-up on it, with the air cleaner base carefully trimmed to clear the back of the compressor and related lines. Looked good, but not factory. There WAS an aftermarket a/c compressor mount that put the compressor below the alternator, out of sight, possibly with an earlier Sanden-style unit.

Wonder how they piped the coolant to the front? And what transaxle they used?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Two reasons. 1) The "performance" engine would make more rpms for extended periods of time than the compressor could tolerate, plus the power drain. Similar on many GM and Ford factory hot rods, back then.
2) A new air cleaner base would have been needed. 426 HEMIS and 440 3x2bls, either way. I saw one '70 440/375 that had a factory 3x2bbl set-up on it, with the air cleaner base carefully trimmed to clear the back of the compressor and related lines. Looked good, but not factory. There WAS an aftermarket a/c compressor mount that put the compressor below the alternator, out of sight, possibly with an earlier Sanden-style unit.

Wonder how they piped the coolant to the front? And what transaxle they used?

Enjoy!
CBODY67
The car is powered by a 426 CID Chrysler 'Hemi V-8 engine breathing through Twin Carter 4-Barrel carburetors and producing 450 horsepower. There is a 5-speed ZF manual transaxle with limited-slipd differential.
Courtesy of @300rag 1970 Monteverdi Hai 450SS - conceptcarz.com
I didn’t see anything about the A/C in the article.

If you went thru all that trouble to fit ac on that car wouldn't you need better off with the more compact and lighter Sanden set-up and ditch the old "double lunger"?

Just sayin'.
But we are talking about a car designed and built 50 years ago and I think a car in this price range (over $500K) would be maintained with original parts.

From the article...

The one and only Hai 450 SS is now in excellent condition. Its owner as of 2006 decided to treat the vehicle to a full restoration, returning the car to its original state after a string of European owners had each left their mark on the car.

Last edited:
Back