Why solid 1970/71 15 x 6 steel rims are scarce

eyemon

Reaction score
I want to pass along some information gathered while trying to locate 2 original type plain black steel rim for my
71 Dodge Monaco. Nothing earth shaking but possibly helpful to someone. My car came with painted steel 15
inch x 6 inch solid rims but the previous owner (I'm the 2nd) for some reason had replaced one rim with a 15 x 5 & 1/2 inch and the spare tire rim with a 15 x 6 & 1/2 inch, both of which weren't solid rims but had vent openings. Although the Monaco has front disc brakes it still came with solid rims all the way around with no openings. Getting to my point, I figured that there ought to be piles of the correct rims laying around in numerous junkyards, however I soon found out how wrong I was because although I was finally able to get my hands on 2 correct rims, I was given information by people in the business that those solid rims were only produced for less than 1 year in 1970 which
made them very rare, at least in the 15 x 6 inch width which explains why they are so darned hard to find and PRICEY! My parts manual shows that that painted 15 x 6 rim only could be had, depending on tire size, on some Polaras, Monacos, Imperials, Plymouths, and Chryslers, that were produced in 1970. I appears that there is no common "one 15 x 6 size fits all" among those listed models because they all have different part numbers. I realize that this post is only relevant to a narrow band of Mopar people but maybe some will find it useful.

They are out there, if you want a hard to find rim, look for a 1969 H-wheel, when you find it and they hit you with the price...your jaw hits the floor. I am always looking, I check out people trailers, old parts cars anywhere there is a rim. When you know what you are looking for you just need a quick glance.

At least when you find what you are looking for you should be able to pick up singles for around $50 + or -

Dave

What are Salvage yards in Alaska like? Anything good?

My '69 Polara CHP pursuit package car has H-code solid rims. I've actually been offered $1800 for the set! (I'm keeping them.) I had no idea how scarce they are!

Did you measure the width from bead to bead on the wheel? I do have a set (4) of 5.5 15 inch wheels if interested, (FREE just pay for the ride).

Damn. Scares me to think how many of those wheels I may have stacked up behind the gas station waiting for the scrap dealer and his monthly pickup.

I want to pass along some information gathered while trying to locate 2 original type plain black steel rim for my
71 Dodge Monaco. Nothing earth shaking but possibly helpful to someone. My car came with painted steel 15
inch x 6 inch solid rims but the previous owner (I'm the 2nd) for some reason had replaced one rim with a 15 x 5 & 1/2 inch and the spare tire rim with a 15 x 6 & 1/2 inch, both of which weren't solid rims but had vent openings. Although the Monaco has front disc brakes it still came with solid rims all the way around with no openings. Getting to my point, I figured that there ought to be piles of the correct rims laying around in numerous junkyards, however I soon found out how wrong I was because although I was finally able to get my hands on 2 correct rims, I was given information by people in the business that those solid rims were only produced for less than 1 year in 1970 which
made them very rare, at least in the 15 x 6 inch width which explains why they are so darned hard to find and PRICEY! My parts manual shows that that painted 15 x 6 rim only could be had, depending on tire size, on some Polaras, Monacos, Imperials, Plymouths, and Chryslers, that were produced in 1970. I appears that there is no common "one 15 x 6 size fits all" among those listed models because they all have different part numbers. I realize that this post is only relevant to a narrow band of Mopar people but maybe some will find it useful.

Aren't you talking about the "Tow Package" solid H/D wheels?

I have a set of 4,......................

@Fury Pursuit, can you post photos of your wheels? Medina has solid H/D wheels, but I don't know if those correspond to the W27 code on the build sheet.

PS: the dog dish caps are Wyatt's, temporarily on. The original covers are the deep dish ones.

Resized_20190614_161515.jpg

20190214_142419 copy.jpg

I'm certain ( 69 -71 ) the 15 x 6 wheel was on all wagons , tow package and HD cars. That's the way I've read the literature anyway.

They are out there, if you want a hard to find rim, look for a 1969 H-wheel, when you find it and they hit you with the price...your jaw hits the floor. I am always looking, I check out people trailers, old parts cars anywhere there is a rim. When you know what you are looking for you just need a quick glance.

At least when you find what you are looking for you should be able to pick up singles for around $50 + or -

Dave
Do you have the part number for the H code wheels I found a rim when I went to get my part's wagon. Had a H stamp I grabbed it cause it was 5 buck's.

@Fury Pursuit, can you post photos of your wheels? Medina has solid H/D wheels, but I don't know if those correspond to the W27 code on the build sheet.

PS: the dog dish caps are Wyatt's, temporarily on. The original covers are the deep dish ones.

View attachment 294139

View attachment 294140

Hi there,

Those appear to be the correct solid Tow Package wheels. They were optional on fleet applications and mandatory on Tow Package applications.

Your Broadcast sheet appears to be correct.

I will gladly post photos of my wheels when I get a chance!

Hope this helps.

I have one H code rim in my collection....not sure when or where I acquired it. I also have a couple of the solid steel rims as well.

Back