Wide Steel Wheels

Arno

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share an idea I'm finally implementing.

As you have maybe seen on my pics posted in my previous post about brakes and RHD Polaras, I have a set of 15x8 wheels on my 69 Polara.

Unfortunately, these wheels are too deep inside the arches, making the car look like a shopping cart.

I sent my original steel wheels in today for widening, by 4 inches, hoping to fill the arches better this time.

I'll keep you posted with pics, as soon as I get the wheels back.

Last edited:
There were OEM 15 X 8 inch steel wheels used on some 70's-80's Dodge 4X4 ramchargers, ram pickups & Plymouth prospectors, (?), Most were equipped with aluminum wheels but the std wheel was steel. Can be tough to locate.

Yeah, a full FOUR inches...
Did some measurements, and will be adding 4" in the back, and 3" in the front.

The originalwheels we got here, were 15x5" and the current alloys on the car, are 15x8". The rear wheel arches have an overhang of about 6" with the current wheels.
I should get the steelies back this week.
I'll add a pic of the current wheels

IMG-20130926-00814.jpg

Last edited:
Cool project. I hope your end result comes out as good as you plan and expect.

You're not doing all four inches in one cut right? I mean that would be some really wacky offset. Or are they just welding new hoops on your centers?

Got the wheels back today and fitted.
They added 4" in one hoop, and it is exactly what I wanted. Looks good on the car, and fills those huge wheel arches and fender gaps perfectly.
Now I just need to find dog dish caps.

IMG-20140130-00034.jpg

Reading comprehension... I failed to notice you sent your "original" wheels out. I though it was the 15x8's you were adding 4 inches to.

9 and a half.......
That's still humongous. I can't believe that a properly fitted tire for that rim is not going to have clearance issues somewhere, somehow.

225's on a 9-1/2" rim. You have a death wish?
I'll say it when others won't.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
A 225 tire on a 9 1/2" rim is not a good idea.
Much too wide of a rim for that size tire.
The smallest tire for that rim would be a 265 or so.
From a B.F. Goodrich size chart:
Tire Size Rim Width Range
P225/60R15 6.0 - 7.5
P265/50R15 7.5 - 9.5
P275/50R15 7.5 - 9.5
P285/70R15 7.5 - 9.5
P295/50R15 8.0 - 10.0

You really do need to tire up on those rims. 265 would be marginal at best. 285 would be the choise...... bur will they go under the 1/4 panel ...... and will it steer OK.
Personally ...... 15X7 front & 15X8 rear is the best look.

Back