Will 1971-1974 Chrysler steering wheels fit on 1975-1978 formals

Robert Saigh

Reaction score
Need some help on this one also! Will the steering wheels from 1971-'74 tilt work on a 1975-'78 New Yorker/Imperial? Any advice? Thanks.

Thanks: But isn't T&T on earlier models? What's different from the 1974 - 1975 models? I'm somewhat confused because the '74 & '75's are the same everything except the steering wheel. and the same steering wheels (by themselves) are used on the 1971 - 1974 formals and fussies! Any other advice? Thanks

First, I was in error. I should have said 1975-78 steering wheel. Thank you.

Now that you mention it, I have never heard of someone taking a 74 and earlier T&T steering wheel and using it on a 75-78 T&T column. That is something you should investigate. Keep us informed.

I would have to see a picture of both sides of whatever steering wheel you want to use to see if it will work.

For example: If someone can post a pic of a 1974-3-2-1 wheel for an Imperial/New Yorker....they're a little larger in circumference than the'75-8's. They're the ones that have the "horn blow" in the wheel itself. These damn 1975-'78 wheels are all cracked , horn pads falling off...not real good quality and the older ones just don't crack, very rarely crack. Can find several of these in decent condition so that's why I'mm inquiring! Thanks for any help.

For example: If someone can post a pic of a 1974-3-2-1 wheel for an Imperial/New Yorker.....

Best I could do

PicsArt_10-03-11.32.26.jpg

That's the one! That's one of the few that has a crack in it! I also like the horn pad/cover better than the '75's - '78's. Question: Will this work on a '75-'78? Any info will be appreciated.

That's the one! That's one of the few that has a crack in it! I also like the horn pad/cover better than the '75's - '78's. Question: Will this work on a '75-'78? Any info will be appreciated.
I have never heard of anyone doing this before. How do you feel about being a Guinea Pig?

Well, years ago I had some newer technology (surgery) to my back...So I'd definitely give this a shot! I don't think it'd be a big $$ fix. So having said that, I'd want a blue wheel and everything else. I figure if I can't make it work, I can sell it to someone. Thanks commando!​

Looks to me as if this NOS tilt-only wheel on ebay could work if you find the locking mechanism.

!CFgRE0!BGk~$(KGrHqN,!mEE1F5kSBUIBNVVDezo1g~~_1.JPG

PicsArt_10-04-09.05.57.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen that one and someone else is trying to sell this wheel. i got a call from a guy on this and the info he gave (foreigner) didn't jive with the add! somewhat skeptical! And there's no horn pad/cover.

At worst case scenario, if the wheel only has a couple of real minor cracks, there's a few steering wheel restoration shops that will do them for anywhere from $175 to $300. Providing there's no re-casting involved! And they'll finish it in any color.

It all depends on the hub on the rear side of the steering wheel on whether or not it will work. My experience has been that all of the spline and shaft diameters are the same on Mopar's. Most also have the slot for the telescoping lever. So the critical part is the acrylic hub on the rear of the steering wheel as far as fitment on the column. The hub can be carefully machined without destroying the steering wheel if it needs to be reduced.

Back