Will a 1965 413 bolt right into a 1966 imperial??

emmd61

Reaction score
Hi All,

Typically I like to keep my imperials all stock. I presently do not have funds to rebuild my 440 in my 66 imperial convertible. I have a very nice running 413 in a 65 new yorker parts car. Will the 413 swap/bolt in without modifications? I want to get the imperial driving and rebuild the engine later.

Thanks----Arthur

The brackets may be different, but the engine should be a direct swap.

The oil pan might also be subtly different so be sure to check for clearance throughout the suspension’s travel. My ‘65’s pan wore through when a non-Imperial engine was in it for several years.

Last edited:
You might have to swap oil pans. I don't know if 413's have the 3 digit number stamped on the oil pan.

I can tell you that a 64-66 Imperial oil pan is unique from a 67 + pan, however I'm not sure how they relate to a 65 New Yorker, but I would assume that based on the frame difference, the 65 would be more similar to a 67 + Imperial pan. The belly of the pan is more centered than the new style.
But thinking further, I think I've fit a 64-66 into a 67+ before, but not the reverse. The 64-66 needs a 64-66 pan for it's unique frame.

The engine mounts should also be different on the frame side, but you should be able to remove the mounts off the 440 and bolt them to the 413, then she should fall into place.

When I bought my 1965 Imperial LeBaron in the early ‘70s as the second owner, I was told that the original owner had replaced the engine in Tahoe but until very recently I didn’t know if it was the same year engine or not. It turns out to be a 1964 413 engine block that was apparantly from a non-Imperial as I went out to it after a few years of driving it regularly and saw a stream of oil running out from underneath and down the gutter. The suspension wasn’t touching it but apparently over bumps it was so wore through so, of course, I replaced the pan with the proper one which was easier to find back then. The engine is now out of the car with a cracked water jacket but have not found a replacement close enough to my rural shop to be worthwhile for shipping.

Also, if you’re replacing the transmission too, you’ll need the ‘66 rear crossover, steering column and linkages too. Otherwise the ‘66 block will bolt right up the the ‘65 transmission.

Back