Will B body headers fit a C body

moparmike65

Reaction score
I would like to put headers in my BB 440ci 1965 C body Polara , I was told that B body headers will work and I was wondering if anyone has done this with good results.

Thanks Mike

Welcome. I don't know if its doable or not (I'm leaning towards not) but I guess we will see. I never though of slapping headers on my car as they seem to not be worth the time and hassle, unless you have an all out race c body car. I myself would go with a set of factory big block HP manifolds. Have them ported and they'll might even be better than headers if not just as good. My .2

Got pics of your car by the way?

I have 2 cars 1 is a 1967 Dart and the 1965 Polara that is the wife's.

Here's some pix

And this is the dart and the new motor

wife's 65 Polara with a bb 440 it has a worn out 440 out of a motor home in it but I am putting together a 446 with a 71 HP block / H beam rods / Venolia flat top pistons / with Eddy open chamber heads and 605 Doug Herbert solid roller cam and a new727 trans with a 3000 stall also have a 3.55 posi 741 unit that's going in for next summer should scoot along a little better than it does now LOL

Mike

B body headers will NOT fit. The driver side will sort of work but the passenger side will definitely NOT work. Only thing I would recommend would be factory HP manifolds or, Schumacher shorty headers, TTI full length C-body headers.
I have used both the Schumacher and the TTI headers (65 Sport Fury w/440). Love them both.

I have Hooker Super Comps from a B body on my car. They were on the car when I bought it. They are dimpled on one primary tube on the driver's side to clear the torsion bar. Make sure you put a mini starter on it before you do the headers.

Welcome. I don't know if its doable or not (I'm leaning towards not) but I guess we will see. I never though of slapping headers on my car as they seem to not be worth the time and hassle, unless you have an all out race c body car. I myself would go with a set of factory big block HP manifolds. Have them ported and they'll might even be better than headers if not just as good. My .2

Got pics of your car by the way?

Thanks and I posted some pix

B body headers will NOT fit. The driver side will sort of work but the passenger side will definitely NOT work. Only thing I would recommend would be factory HP manifolds or, Schumacher shorty headers, TTI full length C-body headers.
I have used both the Schumacher and the TTI headers (65 Sport Fury w/440). Love them both.

Thanks badvert65

I have Hooker Super Comps from a B body on my car. They were on the car when I bought it. They are dimpled on one primary tube on the driver's side to clear the torsion bar. Make sure you put a mini starter on it before you do the headers.

This is what I was told by a guy with a 65 Polara with a 440 I asked him where he got the headers in his car and he said he got them from summit and there for a B body and he said he had to tap a tube to make them fit.

Thanks for the info

I had a set of Hooker headers for a 74 Road Runner big block. I modified these to fit my Fury when it still had the 383. Driver side was just a bolt in. The passenger side, not so much. One of the tubes (top, outside where the tubes come together ahead of the collector) pretty much directly hit the passenger torsion bar. I used a hammer and beat the crap out of it. I got it to clear but the tube was over half way closed. I ran like that for years until I switched to a 440. Then, they wouldn't fit at all (passenger side). there was no way a hammer was going to make it work. I ended up having an exhaust guy cut the header apart and welded new pipes on to clear the torsion bar. they worked great but I had to remove the torsion bar to get the header out. Needless to say, they stayed in for a long time. When they finally rusted out (beyond repair) I decided to use a set of iron HP manifolds. Around that time, Schumacher came out with the shorty headers for big block A bodies. I took some measurements from his mock up and realized that they would fit a 440 C body. I have had them in for over 15 years. I am only replacing them because I am building a super charged stroker and feel that it will need the extra flow potential of the TTI C-body headers.

i ran 69 roadrunner hookers on my 383 for 20 years bumped a little on passenger side torsion bar but when i installe my 440 the extra inch in engine height wouldnt work

From my experience with big blocks in my 65 Fury, I would think any of the 'shorty' style headers would work, particularly block huggers. The problem area is the passenger side torsion bar. That is where full length headers are going hit, particularly 'NON-C body' headers. If you can clear that, you are golden.

Will c body headers fit if you have a big block engine and 4-speed in a 68 fury

That I couldn't say. Problem areas there would include the clutch linkage (Z-bar). I am certain the shorty headers wouldn't be a problem. I would look on the TTI web site to see what they say about manual transmission applications as it will probably apply no matter who makes the headers.

I have "B" Body headman headers(383/440) on my 68 sport fury that has a 76 400 police engine. passenger(right) side fit perfect,except oil filter touches header(needs oil filter adapter).The drivers side(left) was not an easy fit but did go in there eventually. Had to remove the steering gear box nd just to get it in.

Last edited:
Back