Window motor removal

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
OK, I got the door panel off the Imperial after five years of bitching about the window stuck in the "up" position. I tried to apply power directly to the motor to see if the switch was bad or the motor. Just sparks and no movement. Motor needs to be overhauled.

Geting the motor out has proven to be a pain in the ***. Two fasteners are visible on the motor, and a third on the bottom bracket. Those came off fine. The motor? Ain't budgin'!

Where is the mystery fourth fastener?

20200707_202009.jpg

20200707_195440.jpg

20200707_195447.jpg

20200707_195523.jpg

Go to the Imperial club website under “repair” then “body” to find several articles on window motor repair.

Not worried about the motor repair, I've done those. I was needing to know how to access that fourth fastener.

I personally prefer to remove the regulator and motor out of the door as an assembly.
Then I clamp the regulator in a vise to keep it from unwinding and re re the motor safely.
The spring in the regulator is under extreme pressure and trying to take the motor out with regulator still in the car can result in the loss of fingers!!
I have done this soo many times I can do a door in an hour.
Hope this helps.

I don't want to remove the window to accomodate that. How does the regulator come out of the door, as there doesn't appear to be enough room?

I don't want to remove the window to accomodate that. How does the regulator come out of the door, as there doesn't appear to be enough room?
You don't remove the actual glass.
Undo the bolts that keep the regulator in place and may have to remove any tracks or roller stops so you can move the regulator around to get it out of the door..
It is a bit of a circus monkey twisty operation but the regulator does come out.
The factory shop manual is a big help with this.

I just pulled my regulator/ motor as an assembly recently. As mentioned ^^^ it’s MUCH easier..

There are only (3) small bolts that hold the motor to the Reg. The 4th is just a small extra screw that’s helps hold the plate that keeps the grease and gear kit in the motor housing..
The spring tension from the Reg against the motor May be what’s keeping you from removing the motor.. which is why pulling them out as a unit is the best way.. IMO
07EF1AEA-9575-4D09-A480-2DDEEE882F05.jpeg

I did the rear motors in my '65 300 'vert without removing the regulators. If the window is up, there shouldn't be any tension on the spring as the spring is wound when down and released when putting the window back up to assist the motor. As a precaution, I wedged a 2x4 under the regulator while I pulled the motors just incase. Check the metal door panel for a lower bracket bolt as the rear motors tend to have them. If there isn't one there, try tapping the center guide pin on the motor with a hammer and small diameter bolt. It may be stuck in the regulator. I had to do this with one of mine.

Last edited:
3 screws and a strap around the motor itself.
CF0D8538-9955-4635-A006-D17AD09424D3.jpeg
3877C7B1-DBAE-42A4-AE3D-52A911DA4168.jpeg

It's impossible to get to that last fastener w/o removing the regulator, as shown in the pic. Good thing is, I was able to move the motor to the front, disengaging the motor from the gear. This allows manual operation of the window. So, that's where I'm at for the Summer. I don't want to remove everything right now, so I'm gonna reassemble the door, enjoy the Summer with the car, and dig into it in the Fall.

20200708_225435.jpg

20200708_225435.jpg

20200708_224854.jpg

Back