Window trim removal question

300rag

It's Not Going to Shift Itself
Reaction score
Anyone care to send me in the right direction for removing the stainless around my back window and windshield? The trim has little to no wiggle room against the glass and I don't want to spend money on replacement glass or trim. Do you pry from the glass side or the body side of the trim? The car in question is a 69 Monaco 2 door.

20161108_151559.jpg
20161108_151624.jpg

was thinkin same thing...we need a you tube video...if we cant find one we should make one for others once we fumble around long enough to figure out what were doin....

was thinkin same thing...we need a you tube video...if we cant find one we should make one for others once we fumble around long enough to figure out what were doin....

Ok but how we gonna get this guy to play 300Rag?

IMG_5835.JPG

and this guy to play Critter
IMG_5836.JPG

And this guy to play me....?
IMG_5837.JPG

Man almost a doppleganger of me ....spooky

The clips are in the channel, approximately perpendicular to the glass face. Use a wood or plastic wedge to lift the trim from the glass, just enough to get the tool pictured in and behind the clip, pull clip out, push trim up with the same tool, repeat. Sorry no pics. If that doesn't make sense, the only other thing I can say on the subject is to install, if all is right, trim should easily be bumped on straight down towards the windshield/backlight.

I have my trim off right now. I will take a pic of the clips that you are trying to "hook" with that tool. Basically the clips press against the trim holding it in place...you have to hook the clip to relieve the pressure just enough to clear the channel and then it just slides out.

It just takes a bit of time to get the right feel and technique down. Once you get a couple it starts making sense.

It's just a matter of taking and patience.

Dave

I didn't find it difficult to figure it out, bought the tool and just dove in. I didn't even know what the tool looked like till I went to NAPA and told them what I was trying to do.

The clips are perpendicular to the glass, you are trying to hook the clip with the point of the tool the rock the tool on the heel opposite the point. The tool will stay flat to the glass as you move it, it will only need to move an inch or so. The hardest thing is locating the clips depending on how much sealant may have been added.

Alan

I actually took these pics earlier today but I don't think they are close enough for you to see. I will take some better ones tomorrow. I would start on the front window...unscrew the lower mouldings at the base of the windshield first, then start at the bottom and work your way up to the top of the windshield. Do one side and then go over and start the other side before you do the top. If you aren't tall you may want to get a stool.

Dave
IMG_20161110_151929.jpg
IMG_20161110_151943.jpg
IMG_20161110_151929.jpg
IMG_20161110_151943.jpg

I actually took these pics earlier today but I don't think they are close enough for you to see. I will take some better ones tomorrow. I would start on the front window...unscrew the lower mouldings at the base of the windshield first, then start at the bottom and work your way up to the top of the windshield. Do one side and then go over and start the other side before you do the top. If you aren't tall you may want to get a stool.

DaveView attachment 103281View attachment 103282View attachment 103281 View attachment 103282
nice interior...and a 4 dr to...am beginning to see a pattern with you....all good :D

Here's how the tool goes in and what you are doing to get the molding off the clip. Pull up gently on the molding while releasing the clip with a twisting motion with the tool. It's a bit tricky to get the first couple clips loose but gets easier as it loosens. Hope this helps .
20161111_081615.jpg
20161111_081728.jpg

I got treed by the guy I Arizona, but that it...the hard part is hooking on to the clips and applying the right amount of force.

There is a certain feel...once you get it....it becomes Ahh now I get it moment.

IMG_20161111_120215.jpg

Back