windshield replacement

Exterior, Paint & Bodywork

1. 67 ragtop

67 ragtop New Member

I am replacing the windshield in my 67 Sport Fury convertible and need the gasket. I have prices on line from $252 Steele rubber corp. to $90. Bobs Classic Auto Glass has it for $215. Any Ideas as to what the difference is? Restoration parts has it for 195 and 90.
    I have called a couple of them and the person on the phone doesn't have a clue. I want to make sure I have what the glass place needs to install the windshield.
    They are having me remove all of the trim around the windshield. Or they will charge me straight hourly rate to remove it. 2 glass shops wouldn't touch it.

2. 1970FuryConv

1970FuryConv Senior Member

The shops are afraid of damaging the trim.
    Ask the names of the gasket manufacturers and check out their websites.

3. bigmoparjeff

bigmoparjeff Senior Member

The Steele gasket is made in the USA, where the $90 ones are likely Precision gaskets that at least used to be made in Taiwan, but could possibly be from China these days.

precision windshiled gaskets.JPG
    It's likely that they will both fit fine. You just want to make sure that you don't pay $200 for a Precision gasket when you can get one for half that.

You need to know what you are doing to get the windshield trim off without damaging it. Be sure to ask for tips if you haven't done that before.

Jeff

4. 67 ragtop

67 ragtop New Member

The Precision seal states without trim groove as do at least one of the of the $90 seals. But Precision is out of stock, Precisions price is $131.00 How important is the trim groove?

5. bigmoparjeff

There is no trim groove on C body gaskets, so no problem.

That's an A-body thing.

Jeff

6. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

I used Precision gaskets in my 65 Barracuda with no issues at all.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Steele and Precision pieces were the same part, built by the same vendor etc. I could be wrong too...

7. 67 ragtop

67 ragtop New Member

Okay I have my windshield on order to be delivered to the glass shop and the molding in my hand. Now I need to remove the trim and get it ready for the glass shop. I have looked in my 1967 Plymouth service manual and cannot find anything on it. I can find it for the side windows and every other window. I have looked through the entire body and frame. nowhere do they mention the Windshield or back glass. This is a 67 Plymouth Fury Convertible. The service manual is the 1967 Plymouth service manual. Perhaps I am not looking in the correct section. I have both the paper manual and the PDF version.
    I found it in the manual, in body and frame page 101. i will still need help it just says remove trim.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 10:30 PM
  8. bigmoparjeff

Here's a few videos that should give you a pretty good idea of what you need to do:

There's also a quick and dirty way to do it:
    1. Remove the lower trim and cowl cover
    2. Cut the windshield gasket flush with the trim and remove that part of the gasket.
    3. Push the windshield out of the opening
    4. Pull out the rest of the gasket
    5. Remove the trim. Very easy now that you have direct access to all the clips.

Jeff

• Like Like x 1
  9. 67 ragtop

67 ragtop New Member

Thanks! I will order the trim removal tools. I have the plastic pry tools if I can find them. I last used them on my Granddaughter's car to put a radio in. down in Austin.