Windshield replacement

I've replaced a few windshields. It's not that hard to do, depending on how it's held in. You didn't specify what year, but assuming it's gasket, there are a lot of videos on YouTube on how to do it. There's a couple methods, one that uses a rope and placing the gasket on the windshield first and some people swear by that. I've done it by placing the gasket in the opening and that's worked out for me.

Doing it by yourself? I did my '65 Barracuda myself, but a Chrysler windshield will really need a helper to get it in place. It's just too awkward and big to do it yourself. I have a pair of these and they make things much easier. It would be best if the person helping you has done some glass work. Finishing up the gasket can easily be done by one person though.

Amazon product ASIN B007STKT0M
Of course, there is always the chance you'll break it.. and I have broken a couple removing them, but never broke a windshield installing one.

It didn't go well with my Ranger's rear window during the removal process this past fall.... In my defense, the window had a large scratch in it. Note Barracuda in background... I took that rear window in and out without any drama.

ZK75aSt.jpg

The glass is way to big to do by yourself. It is tricky. Not a job for a beginner. Be very careful of glass shops, all they do on late model cars is install the glass with urethane. You don’t want that on your Chrysler products windshield with a gasket. No matter how they try to tell you it will work great, it will not. You need sealer that stays flexible.

I’ve done many of these gasket windows at home With a helper. It’s not a fun job, but I wouldn’t trust a random glass shop to do it.

Here is your sealer and the gun

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261805019899?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251871236555?

Be very careful of glass shops, all they do on late model cars is install the glass with urethane
A good example of a glass shop not doing it right is this thread: windshield replacement

Gasket isn't installed over pinch weld in the pictures... and then they can't get the trim on. SMH...

That really looks like the gasket is on backwards. We should see the lock strip seam with the trim off. Unless the new gasket is made wrong.

That really looks like the gasket is on backwards. We should see the lock strip seam with the trim off. Unless the new gasket is made wrong.
Yea, that's probably it.

Point being, as you said "professional shop".

Back