Windshield wiper bushing cast

Just rain and wind here. People getting killed by falling trees. All of the bridges are closed because of the wind.

I've run the course on all the fixes including observing Murray's honest attempt to repop a big cam which didn't work a year or two ago.

However, another theory that someone else brought to the table exists that I think could work. I haven't tried it but i think maybe could work and that was replacing the entire wiper assembly and linkage from the wiper motor all the way to the first transmission on the left side with a complete donor R-body set up. Again, I have fabricated the 74-77 small cam fix on my cars and I'm done with any other attempts. My fabricated fix has been working for over 5 years without a single failure.
Hi 1978 NYB

May i ask what part you used to weld on to the existing 1978 crank? Did you modify and weld on a piece of a 1977 crank with the smaller nipple to accept the current bushing kits on the market? How did you center the piece for welding?

Thank you,

Hi 1978 NYB

May i ask what part you used to weld on to the existing 1978 crank? Did you modify and weld on a piece of a 1977 crank with the smaller nipple to accept the current bushing kits on the market? How did you center the piece for welding?

Thank you,

I used any 74-77 donor car piece with the small cam. I just eyeballed it as close to center as possible and just welded it. Once you have the donor piece and put it on the 78 crank, just compare it to the picture of my fabricated piece and weld it.

I used any 74-77 donor car piece with the small cam. I just eyeballed it as close to center as possible and just welded it. Once you have the donor piece and put it on the 78 crank, just compare it to the picture of my fabricated piece and weld it.
Thank You! I have a 1977 crank on its way now.

Chinoz did you get your wipers up and running? I am going to also use Bob's method where did you get the 77 crank?

I found the crank on Ebay but I have not fixed the problem yet because it seems that not only do you need the 77 crank but also the wiper arm from the 77 as well in order to make it work. Im looking for the wiper arm assembly no luck yet. Ive been thinking about possibly removing just the 77 pin and welding it on the 78 crank because if I understand correctly the whole problem is that the 78 pin is too tall to work with the available repop cam.

I found the crank on Ebay but I have not fixed the problem yet because it seems that not only do you need the 77 crank but also the wiper arm from the 77 as well in order to make it work. Im looking for the wiper arm assembly no luck yet. Ive been thinking about possibly removing just the 77 pin and welding it on the 78 crank because if I understand correctly the whole problem is that the 78 pin is too tall to work with the available repop cam.

What I got from reading these threads is that you would only need the 77 arm IF you are going to use the repop piece. Bob told me to order a wiper bushing set for a 96 Full Size Dodge van and that was all that was needed. I guess I need to verify if a 77 arm is needed for both applications. I haven't had the time to dig too deeply into this. Work has been busy, and the weather has been crap. I am going to take some vacation next month and plan on doing some work to mine.

What I got from reading these threads is that you would only need the 77 arm IF you are going to use the repop piece. Bob told me to order a wiper bushing set for a 96 Full Size Dodge van and that was all that was needed. I guess I need to verify if a 77 arm is needed for both applications. I haven't had the time to dig too deeply into this. Work has been busy, and the weather has been crap. I am going to take some vacation next month and plan on doing some work to mine.
Well. I guess you're right. I went back thru and read some more and I guess you DO need the 77 arm for either application. Mine is the same color combo as yours only a sedan. I haven't seen any driving around here in years, and the dedicated Mopar salvage here crunched them a long time ago apparently.

Back