Windshields and gaskets and body styles

swisherred

Reaction score
I do understand that for my car...67 newport fast top...it takes a different windshield and gasket than say a 2dr hardtop or 4dr or wagon...I'm curious why.
What is the actual difference?

Not sure about this specific vehicle, but on others, when there is a difference, it's usually in height of the glass (at the top of the glass). The A-pillar width (top to bottom) is usually a "hard part" of the vehicle architecture that is generally common, which leaves top distance between the bottom sealing surface and the roof sealing surface where any differences might be. On Chrysler vehicles, the resulting contours at the top CAN be different too (usually on Forward Look era vehicles, I believe?). EACH of the various windshields used in a particular model year(s) and model(s) will have a different glass industry part number, just as regular car parts do.

In some cases, some shops might have had the equipment to "shave" an existing glass to necessary dimensions for a different application. BEST to get the correct glass from the start.

We all think of "tinted glass" as being generic. In many cases it might be, BUT on windshields, the length of the upper "shade" can be different. Which also generates the "Shaded" description, rather than just "tinted" for the windshield glass..

Finding an old MOTOR or Chilton's "crash manual" will have the necessary glass part numbers for the windshields and the OEM part numbers for related gaskets. The OEM factory parts books usually don't have the "NAGS part numbers (which the glass shops use).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The A pillars on the fast top are angled back a few more degrees than the other hardtops, so the windshield is slightly taller. The sedans and wagons have a higher roof and much taller glass than fast tops or hardtops.

Jeff

The A pillars on the fast top are angled back a few more degrees than the other hardtops, so the windshield is slightly taller. The sedans and wagons have a higher roof and much taller glass than fast tops or hardtops.

Jeff

Sedans and wagons were more about utility and ease of entry (especially in police cars' back seats). Hardtops and convertibles were more about STYLE, usually, back then. Regardless of the brand.

A while back, when I was sharing an old mechanic shop with a friend. I had the '67 Newport Fastop parked in one bay. On the near bay to the office, I had my '77 Camaro parked. One night, I looked up and noticed that the top configurations (side profile) were very, very similar. A-pillar angle and height. Slope of the rear window. Of course, the Chrysler had rear quarter windows that the Camaro didn't, so that affected the C-pillar shape a bit, plus the length of the Chrysler's roof is longer. BUT the Camaro's roof contours seemed to be "Chrysler Fastop" in a shorter version. I smiled. Never would have suspected such similarities! I might have suspected some similarities between the '67 Barracuda's fastback top and the larger C-body's Fastop, but never would I have suspected a 2nd Gen Camaro being so similar.

CBODY67

I've recently had new glass and gasket, the glass was supplied for me, not sure where from but I got the gasket from Steele Rubber, nice item, made well. I think, please check, that the Fury Fastop glass and gasket is the same for all the big Fastops in the Chrysler range, within a few year band of cars/models

Back