Wiper switch.

carguy300

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there is some sort of circuit breaker or overload on the wiper switch. Still getting wiring figured out under dash. Got it to work, seems like all 3 speeds work, but the arms wont go back to start position when off. Tried a couple times and then a small pop sound coming from behind switch, then nothing. Leave it off couple minutes retry with same issue. Any suggestions? Trying to get it ready for inspection!

Can someone tell me if there is some sort of circuit breaker or overload on the wiper switch. Still getting wiring figured out under dash. Got it to work, seems like all 3 speeds work, but the arms wont go back to start position when off. Tried a couple times and then a small pop sound coming from behind switch, then nothing. Leave it off couple minutes retry with same issue. Any suggestions? Trying to get it ready for inspection!

Car and year?

Dave

Sorry Dave, 68 300.

Wiring diagram at www.mymopar.com does not appear to show a breaker. Pretty sure mopar used a cam switch that was integral to the wiper motor to park the wipers. Grab a long screwdriver and touch it to the motor case and listen on the handle to see if the pop is coming from the motor assembly as a helper tries to park the wipers. If that is the source of the noise, the motor assembly probably is defective. You might also have a bad wiper switch that is shorting as the wipers try to park.

Dave

Wiring diagram at www.mymopar.com does not appear to show a breaker. Pretty sure mopar used a cam switch that was integral to the wiper motor to park the wipers. Grab a long screwdriver and touch it to the motor case and listen on the handle to see if the pop is coming from the motor assembly as a helper tries to park the wipers. If that is the source of the noise, the motor assembly probably is defective. You might also have a bad wiper switch that is shorting as the wipers try to park.

Dave
Thanks, i'll try that next. I know the motor and switch are original.

The circuit breaker is internal in the switch. Too much of a draw, or something going to ground that shouldn't, will cause it to open for a few, then close (on a good day).

The arms not going back to the park position when the switch is in the off position is most likely the park switch that is inside the wiper motor not working correctly, or possibly the wire that feeds power to it (usually blue) is grounding out somewhere.

Happy hunting!

The circuit breaker is internal in the switch. Too much of a draw, or something going to ground that shouldn't, will cause it to open for a few, then close (on a good day).

The arms not going back to the park position when the switch is in the off position is most likely the park switch that is inside the wiper motor not working correctly, or possibly the wire that feeds power to it (usually blue) is grounding out somewhere.

Happy hunting!
Thanks for that confirmation! Still sorting out wire issue under dash after bulkhead melt down. I did not have this problem prior to changing out bulkhead.

Ahhhh.....memories!

Happened on my '67 Coronet R/T back in the early 80s, and also on many MoPars that I had the privilege of working on in my shop.

Back