Wipers do not return to park

motorhead55

Reaction score
I have a 74 Newport the original wiper motor had gear damage from frozen wiper blades stuck to the windshield. I bought a reman from Napa (cardone reman) installed it and it did not return to park, brought it back and got another it worked for a few weeks but now it is stopping anywhere but park. Is there anything I am missing or are they just poor rebuilds.
thanks

Do you have two speed, or three speed wipers? Both motors and wiper linkages are different between the two.

I had this problem but it was fixed via a swap. Sorry to hear yours continues to be a problem.

Cardone replacement parts are a 50/50 shot. They get away with it because of price, availability, and the lost craft of shops rebuilding things.

It is a 2 speed Commando1 has got it right.
Thanks
The reason I asked is because the two motors are way different and have their own set of problems. With the two speed motor if the wipers stop anywhere it is the park cam contacts in the motor. If the wipers stay on the glass and do not hide under the hood it is the cam in the linkage, both problems could be caused by frozen blades.

Now for some strange reason the wipers return to park as they supposed to. Does anybody think that the temperature in the low teens had something to do with the wiper issue?

I am familiar with prestolite V speed wiper motors having rebuilt /restored one myself. Not sure how similar the 2 speed ones are. I can assume setting either one up in the car would be the same. Typically i remove the wiper arms from the car. Install the new wiper motor and cycle it on and off to make sure the wiper motor "parks". With the motor "parked" and off, then reinstall the wiper arms in the parked position. Not sure if this is of any help or not. Heres a some pix the 67 V speed unit i restored. I used aeroshell 22 synthetic grease on the gears. This stuff is the best. Doesnt harden at low temps. Found a place to re cad plate the motor cylinder too. Yes i am a nut.

20141106_173241.jpg

20141106_172920.jpg

20141106_172941.jpg

20141108_141325.jpg

20141104_181512.jpg

20160602_151236.jpg

Ok. Never dealt with those before. I will be redoing one in the future for my sons car though lol. His has the 2 speed. Or i may make his car into a Vspeed as i have plenty of spare parts.

Back