wiring diagram interpretation needed

NWPT70

Reaction score
On a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker, I am looking to see what circuits/devices tie into the brake lights/done light fuse feed? This feed keeps blowing the 20 Amp fuse. I have attached the wiring diagram for my car. I wish I had better skills in interpreting them myself. I just need some hints where to start chasing this short down.

Any help is much appreciated!

72_300NewYorkerA.JPG

72_300NewYorkerB.JPG

Well lets start at the beginning, does your car blow the fuse when you step on the brake pedal, or when you open the door? Since both circuits feed from the same hot wire you have to determine on which circuit the short is. It probably is a shorted bulb on one side. I would look at the taillight bulbs first. Keep us posted.

Well lets start at the beginning, does your car blow the fuse when you step on the brake pedal, or when you open the door? Since both circuits feed from the same hot wire you have to determine on which circuit the short is. It probably is a shorted bulb on one side. I would look at the taillight bulbs first. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply. I had this fuse blow out in the recent past but I was able to replace it without blowing right away. (which leads me to believe its a loose wire or possible bulb socket possibly after hitting a bump in the road) As of now the fuse blows right away with the door opened.

The problem with that wiring diagram is that they have condensed about 8 pages of the real diagram down to 2. They tend to be generic and may leave out circuits that are specific to your car.

Best to download a real FSM here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Go to the wiring section and print out the specific pages for your car. Grab a colored pen or highlighter and start following the circuits that you need to look at.

As I said in another thread, you've got multiple electrical problems going here and you need to just start checking everything.

Thanks for the reply. I had this fuse blow out in the recent past but I was able to replace it without blowing right away. (which leads me to believe its a loose wire or possible bulb socket possibly after hitting a bump in the road) As of now the fuse blows right away with the door opened.
OK, that says for now the short is on the dome light side. Try removing one bulb at a time to see which one has shorted. You should have the map, drivers floor, pass. floor, and dome lamps bulbs to check.

I like to isolate the different circuits first, in this case remove the kick panel and unplug BOTH the taillight and dome light plugs.

Test (if it fails here there is an issue with the light switch or in the dash harness)

Remove dome light bulb, at kick panel plug check for shorts on the connector going to the dome light, check each wire to ground and to each other.
On the dome light both wires should be clear of the ground, the light comes one when a door switch or the light switch connect to ground.

If ok, check bulb, put bulb back in, plug connector together. Test

If ok, remove the taillight bulbs, at kick panel connector check each wire to ground and each other.

Alan

OK, that says for now the short is on the dome light side. Try removing one bulb at a time to see which one has shorted. You should have the map, drivers floor, pass. floor, and dome lamps bulbs to check.

The dome light was shorting out ! I would have never seen this unless I checked. Thanks a million!

Back