Wiring Harness

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Trying to find OEM wiring harness(s) for 1965 Sport Fury. Working on complete off frame restoration and ready for wiring, have engine harness but now need the others. Can locate B body but not C body. Evans and Classic don’t have. Summit has universal for 1966-1970 and would appreciate comments especially if experience with a universal like this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Most of the universals will not have the proper plugs and wire colors if you are going for a high points restoration. If you have your old harness, Evans could probably duplicate it.

Dave

Trying to find OEM wiring harness(s) for 1965 Sport Fury. Working on complete off frame restoration and ready for wiring, have engine harness but now need the others. Can locate B body but not C body. Evans and Classic don’t have. Summit has universal for 1966-1970 and would appreciate comments especially if experience with a universal like this. Thanks.
What I have seen, the "universal" harnesses are a pain to work with, especially if you aren't really good with electrical work. There are quite a few threads here with guys trying to work with them and they are stumped trying to get some simple function to work. All seem to need additional wiring too.

I've never worked with one, so I'm going by others' experiences. Done by someone that knows electrical systems well, they may be OK, but even when done, they always look like they are scabbed on. If you are doing an "off frame" resto, then you should do it once and do it right the first time. Follow the recommendation to contact M&H.

What the universal kits, which might be OEM level quality in wire and such, usually have is one circuit per destination. Whereas the factory harnesses (GM and Chry) will use one circuit "feed" to supply a several functions, with the multiple add-ons having their own individual grounds. The universal kits just go "up and back" for one function, from what I can tell.

Most of the name brand universal kits were basically designed for street rods which were being wired from scratch. Unless those companies might have one for your specific OEM vehicle, they can become "more work" really quickly, by observation. As @Big_John mentions above.

CBODY67

When I did my first 300 wiring harness, some years ago, Evans didn't have one, but he took my original and made one from that. Call and ask if he still can do that

Try @azblackhemi , if he hasn't sold out already... he takes something apart from time to time. Old harnesses may not be a perfect match but still provide valuable connectors, pigtails or if you get ambitious enough to unwrap the tape... entire circuits.

What I have seen, the "universal" harnesses are a pain to work with, especially if you aren't really good with electrical work. There are quite a few threads here with guys trying to work with them and they are stumped trying to get some simple function to work. All seem to need additional wiring too.

I've never worked with one, so I'm going by others' experiences. Done by someone that knows electrical systems well, they may be OK, but even when done, they always look like they are scabbed on. If you are doing an "off frame" resto, then you should do it once and do it right the first time. Follow the recommendation to contact M&H.
Used a painless wiring kit on a 31 chevy streetrod back in the 80s... car had an HEI SBC and a radio... it was pretty simple and had lots of length... it would be a silly thing to buy for a C Body or anything newer.

Thanks. Purchased OEM's. requires four separate harnesses, from Classic Industries for the reasons you outlined. Little pricey but since the car has been completed stripped down and much of the existing wiring is patch work not to mention old, my thought is to do it as best as possible assuming of course the person installing knows what they are doing. Thanks again.

Can i ask which ones you bought for your car? I have a 66 fury that needs the same, and i havent seen much on classic ind site.

Can i ask which ones you bought for your car? I have a 66 fury that needs the same, and i havent seen much on classic ind site.
I would think the 65 and 66 are basically if not exactly the same. I worked with Marcus at Classic, Telephone
# 800-854-1280, Marcus ext. # 1366 who researched and was able to put a complete set together vs. other salesman who basically dismissed me since the 65 was not in their catalog. There is four harnesses and the part numbers are: MB2392 Engine (1965), MB2436 Under Dash (1966), MB2467 Rear Tail Lights (1967), MD2624 Front Light Horn (1966). They were in stock and in my hands in three days. Little pricey but not that much higher than the universals I found but opted for the OEM's. They did not come with instructions but you might ask. Person doing my car said he didn't need. Again, get with Marcus.

Agree whole heartedly!

I would think the 65 and 66 are basically if not exactly the same. I worked with Marcus at Classic, Telephone
# 800-854-1280, Marcus ext. # 1366 who researched and was able to put a complete set together vs. other salesman who basically dismissed me since the 65 was not in their catalog. There is four harnesses and the part numbers are: MB2392 Engine (1965), MB2436 Under Dash (1966), MB2467 Rear Tail Lights (1967), MD2624 Front Light Horn (1966). They were in stock and in my hands in three days. Little pricey but not that much higher than the universals I found but opted for the OEM's. They did not come with instructions but you might ask. Person doing my car said he didn't need. Again, get with Marcus.

Thank you very much, i will contact him, and i agree, they are probably exactly the same between 65-66 furys

Were there any issues at all with the install?
One more question for you, what did you do at the bulkhead connector? My plan at the moment is to solder the bulkhead connections together from the engine harness to the dash harness. But Perhaps you have a better way?

Were there any issues at all with the install?

One more question for you, what did you do at the bulkhead connector? My plan at the moment is to solder the bulkhead connections together from the engine harness to the dash harness. But Perhaps you have a better way?
Haven't gotten that far. Not doing the work myself but having it done professionally. Restored one car and discovered it is easier to hire a professional and write a check. The shop working on it does 4- 6 at one time and it is more fun to chase parts, which can be difficult since it is a 65 C-Body, and act as his sous-chef of which he is very obliging. Had it at another shop for two years, was promised to be completed in 6 months, which turned out to be a nightmare so I pulled it and it is now at the current shop. Went from gut wrenching experience to very enjoyable one. The current shop did a lot of very nice work on a 66 GTO that I have so he is a known commodity!

My "today" problem was/is trying to find the bulbs for the parking lights which I cleaned up and painted. I had to break the amber light bulbs, apparently they were 1157's, in the process to get them out and now can't find the replacements which call for a 1034A. Everyone and everything says to use a 1157A, which I have tried, but they don't work including the trick with the rubber hose. Hmmmmm?

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but Evans built my 65 Fury I cop car harnesses. Been a bunch of years and I think I sent him the old one along with diagrams. He did a good job but it is not OEM identical. I gave up on trying to get perfect OEM.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but Evans built my 65 Fury I cop car harnesses. Been a bunch of years and I think I sent him the old one along with diagrams. He did a good job but it is not OEM identical. I gave up on trying to get perfect OEM.
The parking light is separate and plugs into the wiring harness. My problem is the socket in the light fixture. Bought a replacement for1157 but now won’t fit the fixture. May have to drill the hole bigger. This has to be common problem?

The parking light is separate and plugs into the wiring harness. My problem is the socket in the light fixture. Bought a replacement for1157 but now won’t fit the fixture. May have to drill the hole bigger. This has to be common problem?

I have a bunch of parking light assemblies if you want to send me a PM.

Back