Wiring Harness.

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Roll me over, I'm done: Purchased a complete under the dash wiring harness for a 66 from Classic Industries for the restoration project of my 65 Sports Fury; I was assured the one from a 66 was the same and I am sure it is and it would work. We just are now installing (6 months after purchase), long story, nightmare and discovered that NO, the purchased wiring harness would not work would; no wiring for dash lights and gauges and probably other. (Bless their little hearts however, Classic said they would take back). Have searched the internet so long that my fingers are so sore I can't find the G string, and there are two, on my Pedal Steel Guitar. In any event:

Does anyone know where a new harness can be purchased for a 1965 or 1966 Fury which is a C Body of course. Many sites say they have a universal for a 65 or 66, usually coded 1027, but this will not work for the reasons stated above. It has to be modified, but without having the proper plugs on the universal, you have to use the wiring and circuits from the old harness. This in large part defeats the the purpose of putting in a new harness AND because the required circuits in the old harness are basically "hard wired" which makes it difficult at best. This it more frustrating than going and gassing my 66 GTO with premium this morning that just hit $5.95 this in Phoenix; $.80 in three weeks (18%) and no end in site!

What I am looking for is an UNDER THE DASH harness that can be taken out of the box and plugged in with minimal rewiring. We are at the stage in the restoration that this is holding basically everything up. Suggestions/ideas on where to purchase?

Thanks

I'd try www.evanswiring.com. they might be able to make you one or have the right connectors.
Evans told me he doesn't make one for the 65 or 66 when I was looking to get a new one but he did say he could go through my old one, rebraid it, and go through it for any repairs. Unfortunately I was also unable to find anyone to make or stock a new replacement dash harness. I went through mine myself, made any repairs and used plenty of dielectric grease on the connections after inspecting the connectors and wire for cracked or brittle insulation.

Here's one thought. What you are terming "underdash wiring harness" is really several different harnesses rather than just one. It takes each one of those to make the complete item, as an assy.

There should be an ignition harness, instrument cluster harness, hvac harness (a/c or non-a/c), lighting harness, etc. You may have gotten the basic harness from CI, needing the other segments to make things work. Just as there are several different harnesses than make the "underhood wiring harness", for example.

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Here's one thought. What you are terming "underdash wiring harness" is really several different harnesses rather than just one. It takes each one of those to make the complete item, as an assy.

There should be an ignition harness, instrument cluster harness, hvac harness (a/c or non-a/c), lighting harness, etc. You may have gotten the basic harness from CI, needing the other segments to make things work. Just as there are several different harnesses than make the "underhood wiring harness", for example.

Just some observations,
CBODY67
Correct term is “under dash.” The problem is when trying to make one from several is they have to have the correct plugs or you have to create at which point you basically making your own and most likely back to using your old one. Thanks for the thought.

Evans told me he doesn't make one for the 65 or 66 when I was looking to get a new one but he did say he could go through my old one, rebraid it, and go through it for any repairs. Unfortunately I was also unable to find anyone to make or stock a new replacement dash harness. I went through mine myself, made any repairs and used plenty of dielectric grease on the connections after inspecting the connectors and wire for cracked or brittle insulation.
Thanks for the input. May have to do the same because time is of the essence.

Correct term is “under dash.” The problem is when trying to make one from several is they have to have the correct plugs or you have to create at which point you basically making your own and most likely back to using your old one. Thanks for the thought.
Well, when they were new, they all DID plug in as designed. They did not do anything on the assembly line, usually off-line, that would have required anything other than just a plug in and go situation, plus appropriate circuit checks before the complete instrument panel went to the main line for installation in the vehicle.

Good luck,
CBODY67

Roll me over, I'm done: Purchased a complete under the dash wiring harness for a 66 from Classic Industries for the restoration project of my 65 Sports Fury; I was assured the one from a 66 was the same and I am sure it is and it would work. We just are now installing (6 months after purchase), long story, nightmare and discovered that NO, the purchased wiring harness would not work would; no wiring for dash lights and gauges and probably other. (Bless their little hearts however, Classic said they would take back). Have searched the internet so long that my fingers are so sore I can't find the G string, and there are two, on my Pedal Steel Guitar. In any event:

Does anyone know where a new harness can be purchased for a 1965 or 1966 Fury which is a C Body of course. Many sites say they have a universal for a 65 or 66, usually coded 1027, but this will not work for the reasons stated above. It has to be modified, but without having the proper plugs on the universal, you have to use the wiring and circuits from the old harness. This in large part defeats the the purpose of putting in a new harness AND because the required circuits in the old harness are basically "hard wired" which makes it difficult at best. This it more frustrating than going and gassing my 66 GTO with premium this morning that just hit $5.95 this in Phoenix; $.80 in three weeks (18%) and no end in site!

What I am looking for is an UNDER THE DASH harness that can be taken out of the box and plugged in with minimal rewiring. We are at the stage in the restoration that this is holding basically everything up. Suggestions/ideas on where to purchase?

Thanks
Ended up returning them to Classic and going to rebuild the old. They worked and we know they fit and given the cost of new harness, we have a lot of denaro to work with to fix the old!

If you are interested I have a few used wiring harnesses that I pulled out of various cars over the years - all for 66 fury. Some are more complete than others, but if you are looking for any pieces let me know.

If you are interested I have a few used wiring harnesses that I pulled out of various cars over the years - all for 66 fury. Some are more complete than others, but if you are looking for any pieces let me know.
Thanks. Think we have it licked but not all together yet. Keep you in mind.

Back