wiring question

70Tom

Reaction score
OK, so I have most of the radio wired up. Couple questions:

1) The red wire should be connected to an Ignition switched circuit that is fused. Do I have it hooked to the correct wire in the harness (re with white stripe). Or is there a different wire I should be using. Gary reaffixed the original connector to the red wire, so that is the type of connect I'm looking for. And there was nothing under my dash hooked up to that red wire with the white stripe.
IMG_7623.JPG

2) These yellow and red wires were cut for some reason. Any ideas to what they go to?
IMG_7625.JPG

Thanks

You can probably find a Chrysler service manual for the model year of car you have. Check www.mymopar.com or similar. The wiring diagram will detail the colors and stripes and such. The Chrysler schematics are pretty easy to use, just that they string across two pages in the service manuals, usually.

What type of radio are you hooking up? What was in the vehicle originally?

CBODY67

OK, I have the wiring diagrams from the Service Manual. I am having a hard time finding the wires in question that I am wondering about.

The radio was originally a basic AM stereo. I had it converted to a modern AM/FM stereo by Gary Tayman.

Here's the diagrams for those who know what they're looking at:
Pages from 1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual_Page_1.jpg
Pages from 1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual_Page_2.jpg
Pages from 1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual_Page_3.jpg
Pages from 1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual_Page_4.jpg

1st pic where there is the radio in the diagram - there is a wire 1BR > x12-something ( I cant read the pic well) that looks like it goes to fusebox. I guess the radio chassis is grounded to body I don't see a GND wire ?

1st pic where there is the radio in the diagram - there is a wire 1BR > x12-something ( I cant read the pic well) that looks like it goes to fusebox. I guess the radio chassis is grounded to body I don't see a GND wire ?
The wires I'm seeing out of the radio or 18BK, 18DGN, 18R, if those are the ones you're looking at. For whatever reason, I just can't see where the main power wire attaches in these diagrams. I'm almost certain it either has to be the red wire with the white stripe, or there's also a yellow wire with a similar connector. Basically, it looks like I have two possibilities.

The ground wire out of the radio, according to instructions from Gary, should simply be ground to the metal dash frame.

And I'm still stumped on those two cut wires in the second pic.

on the conversion - did he add a (rem) remote wire maybe? red and yello are (usually) both power, 1 is 12v and 1 is 5v (again usually).

new(er) radios have an AUX or REM power to toggle power to an amp or other device (s) - that may be the other wire.

did homeboy not give you a pinout with the new radio conversion?

back to your diagram - the 3rd or bottom wire (top 2 wires go to 'front speaker) - that's the one that runs to the fusebox whatever color it may be.

No, no remote wire. The only wire I have any question about is the power out from the stereo. I just don't know which wire in the main harness is the correct wire in which to connect it. I mean, there's only 2 choices, so I guess if I can't figure it out, I'll try one and hopefully it doesn't blow anything up.

I believe that wire is 18R, so that means it's a red wire.

just going by memory here:
red with white tracer is the switched power
ground is through the dash
drk green and ? are the speaker leads
pink and yellow are the interior lights
pink are dash lights and yellow are operated from the door switch. power for the yellow comes from the pink at a 3 or four way connector somewhere above the ashtray/gauge panel area.

On the connector from the radio, per the diagram, the base stereo has three speakers in the instrument panel. The "BK" wire is apparently the common ground for the three speakers. The "V" and "DGN" are the right and left channel power wires. The "crossover" is the Clectron divider box that makes it all work. IF there are rear speakers, then that all goes into the f/r fader control. Not quite the dedicated pairs of wires many aftermarket radios tend to have.

The Chrysler AM/FM Multiplex radios, with the three front speakers, sounded much better than anything Ford or GM had, even with their stock amps. Enough for the real "concert hall realism" everybody talked about back then, especially with the rear speakers in the mix. More about quality than quantity, back then.

CBODY67

Thanks guys. Any idea what the wires are in the 2nd picture that were cut? One wire is yellow with a black stripe and the other one is red. They are both affixed to a connector. If you're looking at the back side of the dash, they're just right of the speedometer and steering column area.

Thanks guys. Any idea what the wires are in the 2nd picture that were cut? One wire is yellow with a black stripe and the other one is red. They are both affixed to a connector. If you're looking at the back side of the dash, they're just right of the speedometer and steering column area.
Lights on reminder buzzer.

View attachment 144062

buzzer.jpg

Thank you very much sir. I certainly wish I could read these charts that well. I guess I now need to figure out to where the wires attached. Doesn't appear to go to the headlight switch within my harness (or maybe that's where it's coming from so it's not cut up there). I'll have to look at the chart more closely when I get home.

Thank you very much sir. I certainly wish I could read these charts that well. I guess I now need to figure out to where the wires attached. Doesn't appear to go to the headlight switch within my harness (or maybe that's where it's coming from so it's not cut up there). I'll have to look at the chart more closely when I get home.
Here's a good way...

If you have a PDF version, print out the page(s). Get yourself a ruler and a few colored markers and just start highlighting the runs of whatever you are working on. Don't get over complicated with it. One page for each component.

This may help too. http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/AutoWiringBeginersGuide.pdf

I bought a pre-colored laminated diagram, works very well and stays readable in the garage. The list is for a Duster, search his store listing for '70 Fury.
Thanks. Just purchased one. That should really help.

On the upside, the dash is completely in. Man that was a pain. While I probably would have rather had my original dashpad restored by ABC Moparts, I am pretty happy with how the one he gave me looks. Also, the $45 original style VIN rivets look sharp. :D

IMG_7633.JPG
IMG_7634.JPG

Back