Wondering about future value of C body cars

Reaction score
I've got a 67 300 'vert that I've owned for 11 years now. It's a nice car, never been "restored" but between the previous owner and I; most of the issues and repairs have been done. Whenever anybody sees it, it makes a GOOD impression.

Previous owner had car re-painted, new convertible top and bumpers rechromed..All this done about 2002. Since I've had it I replaced and updated the suspension, rebuilt the engine and tranny, addressed the brake issues (Budd disc brakes) and many other smaller repairs to keep her going.

I paid about 16K for her in 2005 and I know I paid too much. In my mind, after all the work that's been done, the car is probably worth 16K NOW. How do you think the values of our cars will go over the next ten years or so??

Here's the specs on my car: 67 300 convertible, 440 TNT engine, Torqueflite, 3.55:1 Sure Grip, leather bucket seat interior with console, power windows, power steering and power disc brakes, light group.

I've got a 67 300 'vert that I've owned for 11 years now. It's a nice car, never been "restored" but between the previous owner and I; most of the issues and repairs have been done. Whenever anybody sees it, it makes a GOOD impression.

Previous owner had car re-painted, new convertible top and bumpers rechromed..All this done about 2002. Since I've had it I replaced and updated the suspension, rebuilt the engine and tranny, addressed the brake issues (Budd disc brakes) and many other smaller repairs to keep her going.

I paid about 16K for her in 2005 and I know I paid too much. In my mind, after all the work that's been done, the car is probably worth 16K NOW. How do you think the values of our cars will go over the next ten years or so??

Here's the specs on my car: 67 300 convertible, 440 TNT engine, Torqueflite, 3.55:1 Sure Grip, leather bucket seat interior with console, power windows, power steering and power disc brakes, light group.

I think you may be pretty accurate on your valuation. Valuation Tools tend to be a little high but the "Good" description sounds like it fits your car. Who knows, maybe you could get $20K from the right buyer.

1967 Chrysler 300 Values | Hagerty Valuation Tool®

As a whole, I think the value of our cars will remain flatlined unless more interest in them arises in the future. 'Verts may increase a slight bit because they made less of them and they tend to be more desirable.

Your car will always be on the top of the food chain. 300 TNT & vert. All pluses. I keep seeing the letter cars go up and up. As long as they keep going up it should pull up the later years.

Thanks! I feel kind of justified now. My car IS a driver, that's why I bought it. I didn't want a show car or something I'd be afraid to drive. I guess I bought it because I'm an enthusiast of older Mopars from the 50's and 60's. It reminds me of my parents first new car; a 65 Dodge Coronet 500. The 67 Chrysler makes the same sounds and the same smell and all that.

I believe there was a seminar at Carlisle regarding the future values of C Bodies... I skipped it and continued my enjoyment of the swap.

If these cars somehow suddenly caught on, I don't know what I would do... it would ruin some of the fun I have here talking to guys who just love their cars and hate flippers...

If I sell my fury when I can't drive anymore and i get the same as I paid I will be happy. I got to use it for free. If it sells for more fine. I bought it because I wanted one. I knew from the beginning it is not the best investment vehicle.

C bodies seem to be very popular in Europe.

First, I think that C bodies are a labor of love and not about the resale value. If that's a concern, you should be looking at other cars.

Second, I really feel that values will be going up in the next few years. You have to realize that it is going to be like the B-bodies. A four door Belvedere with a 318 is never going to come close to even a 383 Roadrunner, so the 4 door Fury isn't going to be worth as much as a convertible 300 letter car. From a few things I've read, I think there are some that don't understand that.

Third, While I think values will go up, it's not going to go into the stratosphere like the E bodies. It's going to take a while too.

I'm not really sure where the values are going to go. I think it really comes down to what people my age and a little older start to get into. Personally, and I've said it before. I like the C-bodies because they represent a nice cheap entry into the muscle/classic car scene. You can get a really nice Fury for 5000$ or a really bad Chevelle for 5000$. The only real issue with the C body for me is hunting down wierd odds and ends, which might discourage a possible next generation of buyers.

I'll take the contrarian view. I feel that many of the cars of the 60's, not all, will start their decline in 10 years as far as value. The people who valued them, remember them, had them in their families and so forth will start to decline. Die if you will. Many in their 70's will start to unload cars they feel they are unable to take care of. Many will start the descent into dementia and Alzheimers. I'm around it every week seeing people hit at the age of 55. It really plays with one's mind. So while one person in their 70's is in good shape there will be 2 or 3 that aren't. A huge majority of those under 35 clearly are not interested. The few here do not make a trend. Cars from the 50's, just good basic cars like ours, are just sitting now longing for buyers where I am as an example. Few our age are buying so they can start another long restoration. More cars and fewer buyers.

True collectibles can be eternal but C bodies, for the most part, are not true collectibles. Same could be said of big Mercurys or Oldsmobiles. I have said it before that given my family I could easily live to 90+ which is 2043. That is in decent physical health and a decently clear mind. Should that be true I fully expect to have to scrap a couple of cars because there will be zero interest in them. The Mustang, F100 and Cougar stand a chance while the Park Lane and Polara will be toast. I conversely have never been interested in what my cars are worth because to me they are priceless. They are what they are and that is for my own purely personal enjoyment.

The only way I see Formals ever getting that popular/valuable is if Hollywood somehow decides to feature one in a popular movie... Hudson Hornet, 58 Fury sort of recognition... I figure we are somewhere behind the Marlin in line for this...

I agree with much of what has been said in this thread, but when it comes to parts reproduction... I don't think we have the numbers for an entire catalog of mass reproduced parts so you will someday be able to build an entire car without ever using an original part. The most we can hope for IMO is for enough enthusiasts to exist and purchase the small run stuff that does get reproduced that it is seen as a worthy cause for a boutique type restoration parts business, with the prices that go with that... I think Murray Park has made some efforts there. We tend to be cheap and want everything yesterday... not a winning combination for a supplier.

commando1 has said repeatedly that much of the NOS out there still exists because it was once in the defect pile... I believe that to be true. I am hesitant to discard any item I believe would be a usable pattern or core in the future because of that.

The more your particular car has in common with the more desirable cars that do have reproduced parts, the better off you will be... but I don't know where the limits will be for that either. My experiences have been lots of enthusiasm from younger folk for our cars they seldom see and have no real connection to... their disposable income and what they decide to spend it on will play a big part in the future of the old car hobby.

The same parts issues we have affects lots of obsolete automobiles that the younger folks may relate to, they may wind up deciding our cars are a better fit for their hobby than the cars they started off with when the engine management electronics are impossible to find. Seriously, who in their right mind is going to want to restore a 90's Civic in 20 years?

Values have gone up a lot in the last ten years. BUT for the right cars.... originals, convertibles, big engines, performance models, good color combinations all play a part in the evaluation process. .
I never thought 20 years ago the values would be as high as they are now.
The cheap bastards of the world keep the values down.....

$100,000 for my 78 NYB????

Not in 2 lifetimes!

I still wouldn't sell it....

Jeff....

The younger crowd is restoring and/or turbo'ing 90's Honda's and other imports now.

Or diesel trucks.......

There are numerous Formal parts that are not on the planet anymore and I seriously doubt that there is a gigantic warehouse in Turkey that has thousands of NOS roof rail seals, wiper cams, door panels, dash pads, power antenna motors, etc.

Some stuff can be rebuilt but you won't find any NOS quality Formal door panels unless someone takes the few Formal survivors apart...

Back