wont start?

jrm

Reaction score
Drove my car, dodge 880 62 361 elec ign, friday and sat went out this morning and lights came on the dash but when I turned the key I heard a click , not the starter and then nothing, everything went dead, no lights no horn, put the charger on the batt still nothing, ckd batt it has 12.7 volts.
got my light out and gnd on neg term touch, starter relay it lights on the batt and solenoid wire, touch ballast res it lights, horn relay lights.
ck amp gage in car it reads power 4.8volts?
car sat for a few hrs went back out and turned the key and lights came on the dash and horn worked, tried to start it and a click and then everything is dead, batt still shows voltage and doesnt drop when I turn to start but nothing comes on?
could not get the plug off the ign switch to ck that and gave up for the night.
any ideas?
Anybody buy a wiring kit for these big cars? Who have you used?
thanks for any help.
john.

That is what it sounds like to me too. I had a black film one time on my battery terminals, a wire brush wouldn't touch it. I had to scrap it off with a knife, then I had life. I would double check the ground on both ends and the engine ground strap.

warm water and baking soda or coke . will kill the acid , coke it sticky after it dries . make sure what ever you use to clean with you don't touch anything with it . acid on it will discolor paint , chrome , eat cloth , ect ...

Battery is just over a yr old, terminals are clean n tight, tried to jump the starter w the relay and a screwdriver and got nothing. put the charger on it will let it sit for an hr or so and see what happens. maybe replace the batt tomorrow.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20161106_204334.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 224
No lights, nothing. had my warning lights 2 times but once I turned the key nothing.

Battery is just over a yr old, terminals are clean n tight, tried to jump the starter w the relay and a screwdriver and got nothing. put the charger on it will let it sit for an hr or so and see what happens. maybe replace the batt tomorrow.
Thanks.

2016-11-06 21.10.45.jpg

Fusible link?

it looks very clean , battery internal post connection have lost the bridge to the top posts before , water level okay in the cells ? have you tried a dead short across the positive and negative battery terminals yet ? with out the charger on them of course , and a small gauge wire as well .

Looked for a fusible link and my manual doesn't show any. I didn't get any smell when I first turned the key this morning, normally get a distinct electric burn smell.
Dead short? will have to Google that.
I will take the batt out Monday and replace, that's the easiest.
Thanks, john

You likely have a battery cable loose at the starter. Had that happen way too many times. That or you have a starter relay goind bad.

Thanks for the help, went and got a new battery installed and it started right up.
that was weird, I dont think I have had a batt go completely dead like that but still read 12.7 volts on my meter and no drop when I turned the key. Live n learn.
john

Much as I hate to dwell on the negative: I'd be curious to see what the original guarantee was (in months) on the old now-dead battery. It may have been a poor quality part.
I recently replaced the battery in my Grand Marquis after seven years of service and I bought it used. Yes, it was overdue for replacement, but it would still start the car most of the time. I think the OEM brands (in this case Motorcraft) are usually better than aftermarket.

I see from the above pic he has a Walmart neverstart battery, I don't know who makes them for Walmart but I see a lot of them that fail too soon.

I actually chose that battery based on consumer reports rating it very high. Replacement is full replacement 3 yrs prorated to 5 yrs.
unfortunately batteries cost soo much that its tough to just get something else/

Back