Wooshing sound when brake pedal depressed

Patrick

Reaction score
I am taking my 67 New Yorker in for some service tomorrow but a new problem has reared up and I'd like a pointer or two before I ask them to look at it. The power brakes aren't working and at idle the car pulls very hard. When I depress the brake pedal it's not soft or hard but it makes a wooshing sound. I replaced the power booster a couple of years ago so I hope that's not it. I did read it could be a leaky master cylinder gasket. The fluid is fine, no leaks. Any ideas would be helpful.

I am taking my 67 New Yorker in for some service tomorrow but a new problem has reared up and I'd like a pointer or two before I ask them to look at it. The power brakes aren't working and at idle the car pulls very hard. When I depress the brake pedal it's not soft or hard but it makes a wooshing sound. I replaced the power booster a couple of years ago so I hope that's not it. I did read it could be a leaky master cylinder gasket. The fluid is fine, no leaks. Any ideas would be helpful.

Best guess if the booster only hisses with the pedal depressed is that the diaphragm has failed, a bad check valve will hiss all the time. A lot of the time, the engine will also start to misfire as the pedal is depressed as this causes a big vacuum leak with a bad diaphragm. Master cylinder gasket will not cause this issue.

Dave

Most likely the seal is gone on the piston off the back of the booster and when you depress the pedal it is allowing vacuum to "woosh" past it. Fire up the car and then once you figure you have full vacuum...5-10 sec shut off the car and then depress the brake pedal....should be able to her it hissing/sucking air beneath the dash.

Most likely the seal is gone on the piston off the back of the booster and when you depress the pedal it is allowing vacuum to "woosh" past it. Fire up the car and then once you figure you have full vacuum...5-10 sec shut off the car and then depress the brake pedal....should be able to her it hissing/sucking air beneath the dash.

And only if the booster is failing if i am thinking correctly...

Back