Would you accept this?

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have to replace all of my ball joints on the seventy Newport convertible. One of the uppers was good, but while it's apart... May as well do them all. The other one isn't perfect either, but this one seems pretty beat up. Should I file down the high spots and install or take back? I was excited because these are the first American made parts I've purchased for my car in some time. At 27 CAD$ they're cheap, however shouldn't they look new? The old ones "look" better. The made in Taiwan rare parts lowers look great but were 150 CAD$ each! Does anyone else repro these?
IMG_20180803_194449.jpg
IMG_20180803_194609.jpg
IMG_20180803_194629.jpg
IMG_20180803_202201.jpg

In theory, you can take them back and try your luck again. Looks like "shipping wear" where they rubbed against each other before they were packaged for sale.

You could take a file and gently dress the high spots down, but also being careful not to alter the taper that's already there.

As long as they fully-seated in their tapered bores, were fully-torqued down, then things would probably work good.

Only thing might be that if similar marks were on the ball end of things, before they were assembled into the socket. That might cause some wear issues internally, which could ultimately affect longevity of the item. But it might take 30K+ miles before anything was noticed, when a normal joint should last much longer. Kind of a crapshoot?

Consider that when the ball studs were machined and then heat treated, at the end of that production line, they probably fell into a bin where they were laying against each other. Then they were transported to another line where they were assembled into their sockets. Another gin at the end of that production line. Then they would be sent to quality control and packaging areas before they went to the company that contracted for them. Probably sold by several companies, in their own respective packaging? Same process whether done "local" or "foreign".

Don't sacrifice ultimate longevity just to get the car one the road sooner. On the other hand, the next ones you might get could be worse.

Remember one thing, the quality of the item is affected MORE by the specs the purchaser gives the vendor to build them than where it might be built. USA-made products, made to mediocre specs can be worse than an off-shore part built to higher specs and material standards. Sure, there is and has been some poor stuff from over there, but it's more related to what the vendor wants to pay for than anything else.

A few nicks might be easier to understand and pay for than a part with the many nicks/indentions which your part has. I know these are items which might be difficult to locate locally, but IF that was possible, it might be better to do it that way. This way, there will be "other eyes" on the part to see why you don't like it, at the same time you're looking at it.

At the very least, call them and talk to them. Tell them where you've got the pictures posted, seeking input, and see how they respond to the situation. If they seem to be interested in customer service, ask them to inspect the replacement items before they are shipped so you get a better part. After all, you're just wanting to do what's right for your car and safety.

Keep us posted on how things progress.

CBODY67

If there’s nothing wrong with your originals don’t change them just grease them up. I can guarantee your originals will last longer than the new ones. I changed a new one out after one year when I found a replacement UCA with a good original joint on it.

doing front end work, i've pulled a lot of junk moog stuff off. seems they put more quality into their branding and packaging. been using top grade napa stuff for a few years now. only issues are with their complete lower control arms, junk, same as all the other brands. strongly agree with matt above. in the world of 2018 good used oe is better than new.

Unfortunately I have to replace all of my ball joints on the seventy Newport convertible. One of the uppers was good, but while it's apart... May as well do them all. The other one isn't perfect either, but this one seems pretty beat up. Should I file down the high spots and install or take back? I was excited because these are the first American made parts I've purchased for my car in some time. At 27 CAD$ they're cheap, however shouldn't they look new? The old ones "look" better. The made in Taiwan rare parts lowers look great but were 150 CAD$ each! Does anyone else repro these?View attachment 203936 View attachment 203937 View attachment 203938View attachment 203939
IMHO, that's damage from some other guy trying to "install" the ball joint. I'd send it back myself just under principal.

If you don't want to bother and need to get it done, you can dress the raised part of the nicks down with a file as long as you are careful.

If I'm reading this right, only one original upper was good. While I agree that the originals are superior, if you have everything apart, I wouldn't be trying to screw an old ball joint back into the upper arm. YMMV.

Like Big_John said, looks like somebody returned it after an unsucessful install. Personally, it doesn't look like it is damaged where it would affect its longevity or safety. If its just a matter of going back to the parts store and exchanging them, I would.

If there are any raised portions I would dress them with a file and I would run them. Looks like Moog may be getting a little sloppy with quality control. If someone tried to install them there would be marks on the body of the ball joint.

Maybe it's a reconditioned ball joint.
We're talking Chinese, back alley, dirt floor, child slave labor, reconditioned.

If there’s nothing wrong with your originals don’t change them just grease them up. I can guarantee your originals will last longer than the new ones. I changed a new one out after one year when I found a replacement UCA with a good original joint on it.

One of the originals is not so good, so I figure I'll do both and see, keeping the originals around of course. The lowers are completely shot. Never having been greased since new will do that. I am going to exchange since it's not alot of trouble.

Those nicks will not stop them from doing their job. Since you are happy with the price you paid, install them and enjoy your car.

I have had some N.O.S. TRW and MOOG through the years --and I had a set of CHRYCO a couple years ago (Chryslers of CANADA) -- they would have been
perfect for you, eh? (that eh? was for you --- the "North" of the border accent !!!!!!!!!!! ), but my current 3 sets in stock -- I (believe) have grease fittings --
but to be perfectly honest, I would have to look at them...... they are at home -- and I am in the library to use the computer.....
If you can call the united States for FREE -- call me -- and I will look -- they are for obvious, toward the bottom of a stack.
If you can't call the U.S. for FREE, let me know, and my next trip in...... or give me your #and I can call you -- I CAN call CANADA for FREE.........

I replaced the 4 tie rods today , inner and outer , i orderd the moogs from the moparshop in Germany , got a email back that i have to wait 4-6 weeks for the moogs but they also selling tie rods from the brand Proforged , got them in 2 days , cheaper and they looked better then the moog ones……...lets see what happens ……..

Found this on YouTube...……..

I have had some N.O.S. TRW and MOOG through the years --and I had a set of CHRYCO a couple years ago (Chryslers of CANADA) -- they would have been
perfect for you, eh? (that eh? was for you --- the "North" of the border accent !!!!!!!!!!! ), but my current 3 sets in stock -- I (believe) have grease fittings --
but to be perfectly honest, I would have to look at them...... they are at home -- and I am in the library to use the computer.....
If you can call the united States for FREE -- call me -- and I will look -- they are for obvious, toward the bottom of a stack.
If you can't call the U.S. for FREE, let me know, and my next trip in...... or give me your #and I can call you -- I CAN call CANADA for FREE.........

Thanks for speaking the correct dialect, I wouldn't have been able to understand you otherwise. I wouldn't doubt we'll be conversing soon. That's too close to being a double negative for my comfort.

I replaced the 4 tie rods today , inner and outer , i orderd the moogs from the moparshop in Germany , got a email back that i have to wait 4-6 weeks for the moogs but they also selling tie rods from the brand Proforged , got them in 2 days , cheaper and they looked better then the moog ones……...lets see what happens ……..

Found this on YouTube...……..

Best of luck, I replaced all four ball joints and that appeased the "snooty" mechanics. Car is finally driving like a Chrysler and not a school bus.

Back