WTB: 440 Long Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDR529

Reaction score
Contact seller
I'm looking for a 440 to swap out with the 360 in my '75 Royal. I would prefer it to be an HP motor, but beggars can't be choosers. Also, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, I'm talking like 1500 dollars is my budget. I'm located in Southern California and local would be great or me if I could just come and pick it up. Id say anything within 500 miles of 91711 is doable for me. I haven't been looking for too long so let me know if my price range is way too low...

I can gurantee if you look on your local CL's, you'll find one within a week or so.

After doing a bit of research, mainly from http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm, I decided to take a second look at my options. It looks like blocks built after '75 are better (due to the bigger motor mount "ears" and the larger coolant passages). My only other option to consider is that I want to get a running 440, and just eventually due minor mods one step at a time (i.e. intake manifold, heads, possibly a cam, maybe even headers if I can find a good set for a Formal). My main concern with a newer block, if the emissions equipment that come with 75 and newer motors. I really don't want to mess with that. I found a '78 CHP 440 motor for a decent price, but is it worth the extra emissions gear for what my overall plan is?

Don't let all the emissions crap scare ya.
If it really bothers you, they can all be easily removed or circumvented.
Just don't confuse these 440's with a 69 six pack and you'll be happy.

One thing to be aware of is that when Mopar changed the design of their engine mounts in '73 they had also made the K-frames different between the the small and big block cars. This is for certain on the B-body, like the Cordoba, Charger, Satellite/Road Runner etc. However I'm not certain on the C-body as all the post '73 C-body cars I have owned or worked on were all big block cars. The difference was that the perches were further back for the big block.

Maybe someone else here has encountered this to know if this may be an issue or not. If it is, another sub-frame should be easy to find, or there is also a possibility that Schumacher may make mounts that will work combined with some fabrication to your existing sub-frame?

Also as long as you are searching, don't forget to get a transmission, or at least a B/RB case also.

Last edited:
'74 to '78 C's do not have a ''K'' frame, It is the complete sub frame. A big block will not fit correctly in a small block sub.

Been there done that.....

Last edited:
Oops, I retarded... I had B-body on the brain. This also includes the older C-bodies. I put a sub-frame from a '68 Monaco in my '39 Plymouth pickup.

Schumacher is worth a look, for some possible conversion mounts.

Last edited:
I agree. Schumacher is worth a look.

Last edited:
I agree. Schumacher is worth a look.
NOS BB mounts for 74-78 C-bodies cars are on ebay ALL the time.
I got mine there years ago and they're still being listed.
Don't be scared off by different part numbers. Different part numbers referred only to the different composition of the rubber spool of which you will never feel the difference. All 74-78 C-body BB mounts interchange.

The Schumacher ones are too flimsy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-M...tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories#ht_500wt_922

You're welcome. :kiss:

The problem isn't the engine mounts themselves, it's the saddles they sit in. They are welded to the sub frame in a different location for big blocks vs. small blocks.

The problem isn't the engine mounts themselves, it's the saddles they sit in. They are welded to the sub frame in a different location for big blocks vs. small blocks.
Damn! Forgot about that. You are so right!!!
Thanks for the dope slap. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back